AMD Is Hoping To Upstream DAL For Linux 4.7, But A Lot Of Work Is Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Is Hoping To Upstream DAL For Linux 4.7, But A Lot Of Work Is Needed

Phoronix: AMD Is Hoping To Upstream DAL For Linux 4.7, But A Lot Of Work Is Needed

Along with open-sourcing the next-gen Polaris GPU driver code yesterday, Alex Deucher of AMD laid out their plans for aiming to get the DAL display code into the Linux 4.7 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They need to add an extended khronos (EK) specification to DAL. I'm sure the new DALEK code would exterminate any attempts to keep it out of the kernel.

Comment

Well, it is smart just to add at staging level and got some consensus over reworking it for fitting better in mainstream kernel. It seems AMD team is on time pressure here, so tossing it out won't help anybody. I understand both sides here, and I hope they will come to unified solution, as this is very important for future of Linux gaming and AMD graphics support on Linux in general.

Comment

Originally posted by Pecisk View Post
        Well, it is smart just to add at staging level and got some consensus over reworking it for fitting better in mainstream kernel. It seems AMD team is on time pressure here, so tossing it out won't help anybody. I understand both sides here, and I hope they will come to unified solution, as this is very important for future of Linux gaming and AMD graphics support on Linux in general.
        People always have great excuses to justify inclusion of stuff that was done behind closed doors. It then never gets fixed due to another set of great excuses.

Comment

Jerome Glisse is also pretty harsh about upstreaming DAL.
          https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...ch/103520.html
          Last edited by Nille_kungen; 24 March 2016, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pecisk View Post
            The major problem with these people is that rather than trying to intergrate into existing environment, they just develop a thing behind closed doors and then drop it once they think it's good enough or well past deadline. If they employed some drm devs into their ranks or made their own people transparently contribute then these things wouldn't be happening nearly as often. Both AMD and NVIDIA are well behind the Intel on this.

Comment

This is where open source shines. Code made by a company (most of this DAL code is rumored to be taken from Catalyst) is designed to minimize cost and just provide functionality needed. Open code accepted into the kernel is about quality and usefulness.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                This is where open source shines. Code made by a company (most of this DAL code is rumored to be taken from Catalyst) is designed to minimize cost and just provide functionality needed. Open code accepted into the kernel is about quality and usefulness.
                That rumor is unfounded:

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                The DAL we are working on upstreaming was written from scratch for amdgpu. The fglrx display code was shared with windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                  Jerome Glisse is also pretty harsh about upstreaming DAL.
                  https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...ch/103520.html
                  I will laugh for days at Torvald's response if the drm maintainers will dare to submit it for push into staging
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

The rather extreme criticism seems a bit arbitrary and arrogant. The kernel and especially the DRM subsystem aren't stellar examples of great and perfectly designed code. I don't see much reason to impose these arbitrary high standards here when in other cases pretty crappy code ends up being included without much uproar. Sure the code needs work, but get off your high horses please.

Comment

Working...
                    X