Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSUSE Developers Tackle Redesigning YaST

Phoronix: OpenSUSE Developers Tackle Redesigning YaST

For users of the rolling-release openSUSE Tumbleweed distribution, there has been a major rework of YaST taking place...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

linux is so versatile. yast can only cover so much.

Comment

Great news. OpenSuse (with KDE) is my favourite distro to put on computers for "casual" computer users. YAST provides a graphical administration tool so they can do stuff on their own without asking too much.

Comment

OpenSuse is my favorite too, but for now I'm using fedora with gnome+wayland. KDE 5.4 was too unstable for me in the Leap. Will go back when they update KDE with a newer version with wayland support.

Comment

Originally posted by boffo View Post
          OpenSuse is my favorite too, but for now I'm using fedora with gnome+wayland. KDE 5.4 was too unstable for me in the Leap. Will go back when they update KDE with a newer version with wayland support.

Why didn't you go to GNOME on openSUSE? It's equally supported as KDE, and it has Wayland support also

Comment

Originally posted by sysrich View Post

Why didn't you go to GNOME on openSUSE? It's equally supported as KDE, and it has Wayland support also
            I didn't know if there was proper Gnome+wayland support, so I tried Weston first and launch some Qt programs to see if they run. They did not, so I didn't wont to mess with configurations + There are some things where that the Leap fails.
            1) Mesa drivers. I don't know why, but the OpenSuse's Mesa is not stable, it crashes a lot, to fix this I installed the Pontostroy Mesa drivers, they are stable + faster, sounds strange, because Pontostory gives the more recent Mesa in development, not the stable one.
            2) Updating Mesa with Pontostroy means that I will be frequenly update Mesa. OpenSuse Leap unfortunately updates Mesa without updating the dependencies, so a lot of times I ended up with a non working laptop.
            I still like OpenSuse, I've been using OpenSuse for over 10 years and I know that sometimes a not very good realese comes out, this time mainly do to Kde 5.4. I wish they would update to 5.5 but they a not going to update till the next "Servis Pack".
            I still think that Yast is superior to others, The installation process in Opensuse is better, It always recognize users in the /home. Fedora didn't + the installer crashes/freezes a lot of times.

Comment

You could also use Tumbleweed instead of Leap.

Comment

YaST is so genius, every time I'm looking for a solution for something how to do it, I end up Googling with the result pointing to do it somewhere in YaST :-D YaST alone is worth a study. Understand everything in YaST and you're hired ;-)

Comment

Working...
                X