Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA OpenGL: Windows 10 Pro vs. Ubuntu Linux Benchmarks

Phoronix: NVIDIA OpenGL: Windows 10 Pro vs. Ubuntu Linux Benchmarks

Published yesterday was a test of Intel Skylake graphics on Ubuntu 15.10 vs. Windows 10 with a focus on the OpenGL performance. In today's article is a similar cross-operating-system comparison but this time being featured are three NVIDIA graphics cards to see how the latest NVIDIA drivers are running.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice results. I am guessing there is a bug or something in Xonotic that's slowing it down.

I wonder if it will make any difference to test Linux OpenGL against Windows DirectX, or does DX on Windows run at similar speeds to OGL?

Comment

Its such a colossal shame the only parity OpenGL performance comes from the most freedom hating company in the desktop GPU industry. For myself its simple to sacrifice performance for ethics and to speak with my money for AMD and against Nvidia's insane bullshit, but if you were to design a Steam Machine for a friend or relative... AMD and Intel hardware just performs so bad its likely to turn them off entirely to the ecosystem.

Comment

Thanks, nvidia, for being the only ones who care about Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
          Its such a colossal shame the only parity OpenGL performance comes from the most freedom hating company in the desktop GPU industry. For myself its simple to sacrifice performance for ethics and to speak with my money for AMD and against Nvidia's insane bullshit, but if you were to design a Steam Machine for a friend or relative... AMD and Intel hardware just performs so bad its likely to turn them off entirely to the ecosystem.
          insane bulshit? it's the only company who cares about linux and unix

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

insane bulshit? it's the only company who cares about linux and unix
            They are the only assholes who not only contribute absolutely no free software code, but whose entire product line is completely and systemically proprietary. Unlike Intel and AMD, they never publish their technical specs or ISAs, so if you approach their product lines repectively:

AMD: You can write your own GPU programs from scratch using reference material. The only proprietary bullshit is the power state initialization firmware they do not publish information on. However, you can write native GPU programs for any of their GPUs however you want.

Intel: Up through Skylake had fully open GPUs and had specs for everything including programming manuals. Getting worse this generation with firmware blobs, but Intel blobs literally everything they ship, probably because they make sure to backdoor their hardware for the US Fed.

Nvidia: A project like Nouveau requires logging the PCIE bridge dumps and reverse engineering every operation from scratch. No documentation at all on how any of their shit works, so you are literally buying a completely black box with a 50 MB blob of binary bullshit that is supposed to be your panacea for parallel programming.

None of them are great, but at least AMD and Intel give you programmability if not ownership of your hardware. Nvidia gives you jack shit and gets praise for it, and their overwhelming hive minded double think supporting them gives them insane revenues to bankroll dev teams that keep their drivers "so good". The moment they act in their own self interest and betray their "loyal" customers, you are completely screwed with no recourse because you sold everything about your hardware to them.

Comment

OpenGL Tests on Windows are boring, if the Application use another default Renderer ...

Comment

Yeah, well you can worry about your second-rate performing open source code and I'll worry about actually getting my money's worth out of my hardware. As far as I care it's about attitude. Nvidia takes Linux seriously enough. AMD and Intel treat it like the red-headed bastard stepchild, if not worse.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post

They are the only assholes who not only contribute absolutely no free software code, but whose entire product line is completely and systemically proprietary. Unlike Intel and AMD, they never publish their technical specs or ISAs, so if you approach their product lines repectively:

AMD: You can write your own GPU programs from scratch using reference material. The only proprietary bullshit is the power state initialization firmware they do not publish information on. However, you can write native GPU programs for any of their GPUs however you want.

Intel: Up through Skylake had fully open GPUs and had specs for everything including programming manuals. Getting worse this generation with firmware blobs, but Intel blobs literally everything they ship, probably because they make sure to backdoor their hardware for the US Fed.

Nvidia: A project like Nouveau requires logging the PCIE bridge dumps and reverse engineering every operation from scratch. No documentation at all on how any of their shit works, so you are literally buying a completely black box with a 50 MB blob of binary bullshit that is supposed to be your panacea for parallel programming.

None of them are great, but at least AMD and Intel give you programmability if not ownership of your hardware. Nvidia gives you jack shit and gets praise for it, and their overwhelming hive minded double think supporting them gives them insane revenues to bankroll dev teams that keep their drivers "so good". The moment they act in their own self interest and betray their "loyal" customers, you are completely screwed with no recourse because you sold everything about your hardware to them.
                  amd doesn't care about you either, they just doesn't have enough money to do as nvidia does, and intel doesn't have much to hide.

Comment

Originally posted by edmon View Post
                    amd doesn't care about you either, they just doesn't have enough money to do as nvidia does
                    Yeah AMD does not have money to support for years on Linux both Catalyst and opensource radeon driver, and also third one amdgpu driver

Comment

Working...
                    X