Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Chromium Web Browser Might Finally Be Added To Fedora

Phoronix: The Chromium Web Browser Might Finally Be Added To Fedora

There are some Fedora packagers/developers working towards potentially getting Google's open-source version of the Chrome web-browser, Chromium, added into Fedora...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I want, but can't use Chromium in K/Ubuntu because it is always behind Chrome in release numbers, so if I use it I don't get the last security fixes.

Let's hope that in Fedora they can keep up with Chrome releases.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
      I want, but can't use Chromium in K/Ubuntu because it is always behind Chrome in release numbers, so if I use it I don't get the last security fixes.

Let's hope that in Fedora they can keep up with Chrome releases.
      You do know security fixes are backported and Chromium is more secure than Chrome, right?

Comment

For instance Chrome 45 says they will have fixed logjam, which has been solved in Debian for months.

Comment

More decisions like this will come as the Fedora devs get their shit together and instead of policy start looking at what people want and value common sense. I predict in 3-5 years they'll get it that the installation of codecs must work OOTB and not rely on 3rd parties.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
            More decisions like this will come as the Fedora devs get their shit together and instead of policy start looking at what people want and value common sense. I predict in 3-5 years they'll get it that the installation of codecs must work OOTB and not rely on 3rd parties.
            It is feasible to provide packaging exceptions for certain packages and that is nothing new. However including several multimedia codecs is not legally feasible with the current patent regime. This isn't just a question of policy.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
              More decisions like this will come as the Fedora devs get their shit together and instead of policy start looking at what people want and value common sense.
              Google should just get their shit together and stop to fork and force-bundle every shitty library on the planet just because they are too stupid to use the system-provided ones.

Comment

why some of you prefer Chrome/Chromium over Firefox? By using Firefox I just miss Hangouts integration

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

You do know security fixes are backported and Chromium is more secure than Chrome, right?

In Ubuntu repos? Because after several secure updates in Chrome I didn't see Chromium receiving any. Not to mention the stupid rendering bug because a decision made by the Ubuntu developers.

@horizonbrave

People have different needs. Me for example can't stand the time Firefox takes to load 2 or 3 pages in the background. You know, you come to Phoronix, start to middle click several articles on the main page to load tabs in the background. In Firefox is a stop-motion film. Chrome load the pages much more faster.

Another case is that Firefox don't send to the cloud my custom search engines and their respective keywords. Chrome does. After every new install I have to go out and visit the sites and got then back.

But Firefox have nice things too. The RSS reader in the bookmark bar is great. Nothing in Chrome nor in his extensions have the same user friendless. The built in tab grouping is very nice too.

Comment

Totally agree on the page loading times.. but I couldn't understand when reading some benchmarks why Firefox was supposed to have a minor memory footprint but I guess that it's more because of different internal designs.

Cheers
                    Last edited by horizonbrave; 11 August 2015, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X