Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon 300 Series On Linux - Catalyst: 0 vs. Open-Source: 1

Phoronix: AMD Radeon 300 Series On Linux - Catalyst: 0 vs. Open-Source: 1

For those that follow me on Twitter know I've started testing the MSI Radeon R7 370 4G graphics card as one of the new models launched by AMD last month. For this new (non-Fiji) graphics card, using the open-source graphics driver is the only choice on Linux right now...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Compare "lspci -vnn" with "modinfo fglrx" or inside the sources. That the control file does not have the PCI ID says nothing.

Comment

Catalyst: 0 vs. Open-Source: 1
      Cool

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        Compare "lspci -vnn" with "modinfo fglrx" or inside the sources. That the control file does not have the PCI ID says nothing.
        When trying to run the Catalyst driver after installing it with a R9 290 I would just get a crash and back trace in my Xorg log.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

OK, then the fglrx driver is less generic than Nvidia ones.

Comment

I always thought you'd get the driver via the driver CD. same day support...

Comment

Hi Yall,

with the great prices and three years of improvements and video decode "working,"I upgraded to a XFX 390x, It is a beast for 4k gaming in Doze.

Linux install fails, using the script, but.... Using Synaptic in Debian, got working drivers in. The MST code is, how shall I put this, poor.... Reverted to hdmi, as it actaully recognizes the monitor and does not create two virtual monitors. Eyefinity? Yeah right. FGLRX is rubbish for flashplayer causing numerous system hard locks and video playback with vaapi is nowhere near as stable as nVida solution.

Tiger Team have 10yrs+ neglect to resolve. Good luck, they will need it!

GreekGeek :-)

Comment

And my GTX 980Ti was supported and overclocked the week of its release with no problems whatsoever. Unless you consider humiliating a Fury X (28% better performance on Uningine Heaven 4) on Windows a "problem". War Thunder on ultra settings at 3440x1440 averages ~100 FPS. Call me when you get an AMD card to that level of performance.

Comment

Last I heard R9 3xx series driver support was scheduled for july 6th. I suspect this article today is because of that. It's all right if it's a little late beta drivers are out there with this support. I don't have one myself, but I read other peoples benchmarks so I know they exist.

Comment

I heard tomorrow (7th)...

I'm planning to buy my first AMD card. Main reason for this is availability of free drivers. But there's one thing that's really, really bugging me: The
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X