Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Is Giving Out Their Steam Linux Games To Mesa Developers

Phoronix: Valve Is Giving Out Their Steam Linux Games To Mesa Developers

Last year Valve made all of their games free to Debian developers as a thank you since SteamOS is based on Debian. Now Valve is giving out their collection of all current and future games to open-source Mesa developers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great Valve giving back PR

I do Love Valve PR

I just think how many other companies enjoy Linux kernel and / or GNU a lot more for their business (Google, Facebook, Amazon etc) and their PR stuff do not think in this kind of cheap (not a lot of money) great deals.

Comment

This is just PR, nothing else

Originally posted by mitcoes View Post
      I do Love Valve PR

I just think how many other companies enjoy Linux kernel and / or GNU a lot more for their business (Google, Facebook, Amazon etc) and their PR stuff do not think in this kind of cheap (not a lot of money) great deals.
      We know Valve are PR pros, it does not mean they are ethical.

Comment

Seems like I need to

1] Learn coding.
        2] Find 25 really really really small things to fix in MESA code (think adding comments small or smaller).
        3] Submit commit.
        4] Profit.

Comment

This is a great idea - it's a good way to convince more developers to contribute.

Comment

great strategy. Because you'd get more developers playing more games, you will get more developers actively intrested in fixing bugs that would effect performance in steam.

So, you simply just bring two communities closer to help fix eachothers problems

Comment

I'd rather see them hire devs or sponsor projects. But giving out games is probably cheaper and thus more effective from pr point of view I guess.

Comment

Valve is dead. The numbers just don't show it yet.

Comment

Mesa development comes to a grinding halt.

Comment

Originally posted by mitcoes View Post
                    OK for Amazon but not for Google and Facebook.

Google : funding the GSoC since many years and is one the major contributors to the Linux kernel. And many various contribution in the open source world.
                    Facebook : HipHop for PHP, Apache Hadoop, Apache Cassandra, and moreover Chris Mason = btrfs

Comment

Working...
                    X