Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Usage Rose By A Tiny Amount On Steam Last Month

Phoronix: Linux Usage Rose By A Tiny Amount On Steam Last Month

Valve's monthly hardware/software survey is out for the data collected in March and provides an interesting look at the current Linux gaming market-share...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've certainly been using Linux Steam often, quite recently. Especially when the kickstarted Pillars of Eternity was released. Amazing game; looks great, plays beautifully, works wonderfully under Linux, and may possibly be Obsidian's least buggy initial release ever. It will be months before I finish it.

Now that all these kickstarter games are reaching the point of release, and many with Linux support, makes me wonder if this will lead to a general increase in Steam Linux usage.

Comment

Why are there so many 3GB, 5GB, and 7GB ram linux users? I know that there is nothing wrong with using that amount of ram, but it still weirds me out. Just ain't natural.

Comment

It hasn't risen at all, it's well within the margin of error.

------------------
        Best Linux Distribution in 2015

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
          Why are there so many 3GB, 5GB, and 7GB ram linux users? I know that there is nothing wrong with using that amount of ram, but it still weirds me out. Just ain't natural.
          Count me in, since asymmetrical RAM configurations mean lower RAM performance.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
            I suspect they are mostly APUs with 1GB carved out for use as as video memory. My Kaveri system shows 7GB total memory but it actually has 2x4GB sticks.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
              Count me in, since asymmetrical RAM configurations mean lower RAM performance.
              It's because some laptops have a RAM slot on the on the top side of the board the manufacturer uses. Then there is usually an upgradeable slot with access on the bottom side of the board. The problem is, it only runs at the speed of the slowest stick, which is usually the one on the top side that isn't accessible.

Comment

Now that a lot of good games are on Steam, I really hope this will raise faster now!

And if Steam makes more people switch to Linux, I would be even more happy

Comment

@Michael

I am wondering why your articles about the linux userbase on steam always sounds like its stagnating? ( i'm no native speaker ) But if we take a closer look and not only on the percentages we can come to another conclusion. Lets face it, if you just look at the percentages – and get the feeling its stagnating – we (silently) assume that the overall userbase is constant. I guess this is the reason why i, at least, had the feeling about your articles. Let me try to look at it from a different perspective: Lets first investigate what the overall userbase looks like. If we do that we – maybe – surprisingly note the steam userbase is massively rising!

If we take this to account and see a stable percentage of the linux userbase one must conclude that linux is just as fast rising as the win userbase.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeK View Post
                    I've certainly been using Linux Steam often, quite recently. Especially when the kickstarted Pillars of Eternity was released. Amazing game; looks great, plays beautifully, works wonderfully under Linux, and may possibly be Obsidian's least buggy initial release ever. It will be months before I finish it.

Now that all these kickstarter games are reaching the point of release, and many with Linux support, makes me wonder if this will lead to a general increase in Steam Linux usage.
                    I feel like until steamos comes out of beta linux is still considered like 'expert only environment'. Basically, if you are a random user who wants to build a linux gaming platform you have to deal with blob install, os install, uefi, buy the optimum hardware... If steam's os is officially released, random people could eventually feel more confident getting into the linux world.

So I think it's as important as the amount of great games.

Comment

Working...
                    X