Linux Gains Support For Really High Frame Rates With The PS3 Eye Camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Gains Support For Really High Frame Rates With The PS3 Eye Camera

Phoronix: Linux Gains Support For Really High Frame Rates With The PS3 Eye Camera

A new patch has been proposed today for the Linux kernel that would allow the PlayStation 3 Eye camera to capture at much higher frame-rates...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Max resolution: 640x480. Said enough.

Comment

As A Webcam...

...it is hard to beat at that price. Works well in low light conditions, were other web cams from Microsoft and Logitech barely achieve 10fps.

About that resolution, you had to have a very good upload speed to benefit from something with higher resolution.

The really bad thing about it is the lack of a top monitor support (there is a accessory for that).

Comment

The VGA resolution is bad considering that Microsoft and Logitech have full 720p and 1080p webcams at affordable prices.

However, the Playstation Eye isn't meant to be used for Skype. Its meant to track hand gestures and body movements and translate that into in-game input and character movement.

Comment

I guess Portal 2 wouldn't support PlayStation Eye, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by gotwig View Post
            Max resolution: 640x480. Said enough.
            Yes, you're an idiot. You don't have to broadcast it.

Comment

Brilliant!

I'm using this camera in Windows for a head tracking setup with the FastTrackNoIR software. Works great and is far cheaper than the TrackIR device. You just need 3 IR diodes, 3 resistors and a battery and mount them in a baseball cap, check out the plans at free-track.net.

Comment

Originally posted by Staffan View Post
                I'm using this camera in Windows for a head tracking setup with the FastTrackNoIR software. Works great and is far cheaper than the TrackIR device. You just need 3 IR diodes, 3 resistors and a battery and mount them in a baseball cap, check out the plans at free-track.net.
                I guess for maximum street cred you'd also mount a propeller in it

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                  I guess for maximum street cred you'd also mount a propeller in it
                  LOL! Then I have air conditioning too

Comment

Does it have triple or quad crossfire (three or four cans of beer at once)?

Comment

Working...
                    X