KeithP Looks To Reduce The Latency Of Using The X.Org Present Extension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KeithP Looks To Reduce The Latency Of Using The X.Org Present Extension

Phoronix: KeithP Looks To Reduce The Latency Of Using The X.Org Present Extension

Keith Packard who is largely responsible for DRI3 and the Present Extension is looking to take care of one of the flaws of using Present: there can be an extra frame delay if using a compositing window manager with X11...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am genuinely curious on why they still waste resources on X.

Comment

I don't think anyone expects X to go away completely for a long time, ie it will still be important even as a layer over Wayland/Mir/whatever. Apps are still being ported *to* X every day...
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        I am genuinely curious on why they still waste resources on X.
        X will stay for a long time like it o not.

Comment

TBH i was expecting it to reach "bug fix only mode" soon if not already. Anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            I don't think anyone expects X to go away completely for a long time, ie it will still be important even as a layer over Wayland/Mir/whatever. Apps are still being ported *to* X every day...
            Too much talented people on wasted projects like Intel xorg driver etc.
            I dont believe that X will stay that long in Linux at least. Most of the core applications of gnome are ported to Wayland even if it is still in beta. When it is completed the rest will be ported and it won't be that difficult since most of the work happens in toolkits.
            Can you name 5 large applications that are X only for 2014 ? I don't remember any...

Comment

Originally posted by iznogood View Post
              Can you name 5 large applications that are X only for 2014 ? I don't remember any...
              Easy. Firefox, Thunderbird, Chrome, VLC, Libre, (bonus: Spotify, Steam(????) Draftsigh, Matlab anything commercial)

And yes that is the BIG problem with WL.

Comment

Originally posted by iznogood View Post
                By day I'm in silicon design, and Wayland isn't even on our radar screen, and I'm pretty sure it isn't on the radar screen yet for our CAD vendors, where we get our software tools. We just got yet another ISR from Cadence last week for the CAD suite they provide... It runs on RedHat 6.x, still supports RedHat 5.x, and I strongly suspect that they are barely in the planning stages for RedHat 7.x support, which still uses X11.

If you think Debian Stable is slow and behind, you should try working in Industry.

Comment

Originally posted by phred14 View Post
                  By day I'm in silicon design, and Wayland isn't even on our radar screen, and I'm pretty sure it isn't on the radar screen yet for our CAD vendors, where we get our software tools. We just got yet another ISR from Cadence last week for the CAD suite they provide... It runs on RedHat 6.x, still supports RedHat 5.x, and I strongly suspect that they are barely in the planning stages for RedHat 7.x support, which still uses X11.

If you think Debian Stable is slow and behind, you should try working in Industry.
                  you should consider also everyone (plus research centers) that uses SLC and CentOS which are supported for at least 10 years,
                  which means that X.Org is going to stay for at least 10 years after the general adoption of Wayland.

also, there is no possibility that s/w like vivaldo-ise/modelsim/matlab/quartus/labview and many many more that target slc/rhel/centos/openSuse are going to bother with mir, but wayland has a brighter future.
                  and don't forget steamos, which is debian based and debian will steer the wayland way sometime.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                    Easy. Firefox, Thunderbird, Chrome, VLC, Libre, (bonus: Spotify, Steam(????) Draftsigh, Matlab anything commercial)

And yes that is the BIG problem with WL.
                    Not that easy, since you made a few tiny errors. Current Firefox doesn't run on Wayland, but the nearly-ready GTK3 port of Firefox does since it uses GTK3. Gecko was ported to Wayland many, many months ago (browser on my Jolla Phone uses Gecko and Wayland). VLC uses the installed Qt and if you're running Qt 5.4 (for example on Antergos/Arch, like me) that was released a few days ago, then VLC now runs on Wayland since Qt 5.4 added (better) Wayland support. Chrome may not run on Wayland, but Chromium does if you compile it with Wayland support. Wayland support in Chromium was added in 2012, according to Google Code.
                    Spotify could easily add Wayland support since they already use the Qt toolkit. They just have to update their internal Qt which they ship along with the app to 5.4

"Anything commercial" is also a bit over the top statement 'cause there is commercial software ported to Wayland already, including RealVNC and Eclipse.

Comment

Working...
                    X