Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Second Birthday To The Steam Linux Client

Phoronix: Happy Second Birthday To The Steam Linux Client

It was on this day two years ago that the Steam Linux client went into beta following the many exclusive Steam Linux stories and after being over at Valve's headquarters to learn about their ambitious Linux plans...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just in case you missed it, War Thunder is now available for Linux: http://warthunder.com/en/news/2608-w...le-on-linux-en (not on Steam yet, although that's coming 'later' apparently).

Comment

Thanks Valve! for taking into consideration the linux platforms and its advantages despite the GPU driver issues. And also thanks for bringing some games to us which I would have never buy if they weren't available for linux

Comment

Originally posted by ileonte View Post
        Just in case you missed it, War Thunder is now available for Linux: http://warthunder.com/en/news/2608-w...le-on-linux-en (not on Steam yet, although that's coming 'later' apparently).
        Wow, this is awesome! Thanks for sharing this news :-)

Comment

Happy Birthday Steam - and thanks for your work

Well, I am not a gamer at all.
          However, I really do appreciate very much the work Valve is doing on Linux.

1.) to bring gamers and therefore more users to the Linux world.
          2.) to work on improving Linux, especially the Linux Graphics subsystem. Working with both, the open source driver teams as well as with the closed source hardware vendor teams.

While I prefer the open (open source) versions.
          I don't have a problem, when vendors are providing higher performance proprietary drivers through the use of third party bits, when the overall user experience is improving and therefore attracting more people to the Linux platform.
          In this regards, I really like the new AMD (amdgpu) approach with as much as possible open parts, but having the possibility to add some higher performance parts when not able to solve else (like providing newer/higher OpenGL level support).
          And of course Intels way of open sourcing all their Linux drivers. Hopefully, they can catch up with the likes of NVIDIA and AMD.

So Valve: Happy Birthday again and keep up the good work.

Best regards from a Swiss Linux User.
          Last edited by rgloor; 06 November 2014, 10:07 AM.

Comment

I'm a happy Linux Gamers nowadays thanks to Valve I mostly play DOTA 2 1400h already :P

Comment

Happy birthday Steam! My favorites are so far Civilization V and Super Meat Boy! I think those are the games which with I've spent the most time so far. Especially Civilization V!

Comment

Favourites: XCOM EU/EW, HL/HL2 (one more time). And of course Portal 2.

Comment

I read here about steam coming to linux, and, well, my badge of 2 years of service is not a coincidence.

Comment

Wasteland 2

Comment

Working...
                    X