Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ROCCAT LUA: A Linux-Friendly Gaming Mouse

Phoronix: ROCCAT LUA: A Linux-Friendly Gaming Mouse

For those looking for a gaming mouse that's Linux friendly and not too expensive, the ROCCAT LUA is a nice option.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Happy Roccat user

I have had 3 mice.

1 was wireless -rather bad thing in urban areas, due to wifi interfierance. It was small and good for laptop, so I gave it to my mom.

2nd broke down rather easilly.

3rd i have right now and am very happy with it.
    VERY NICE Linux software, comparable to many vendor utilities from Windows.

Several different profiles, very configurable profiles. High DPI. Profiles can be switched from mouse itself.
    All buttons are configurable. Keyboard shortcuts can be bound, so if game does not support more than 2-4 mouse buttons - no problem, configure buttons as key board keys, than program game for keyboard keys. It was very useful in Torchlight(best or one of best native Linux RPG)

App to configure game - OSS.
    They don't officially support Linux, but they reply fast enough. Many troubleshooting steps can be same with any OS.

So... Support those dudes!

Comment

Roccat Kova+ and Ryos MK Glow owner here..
      the linux driver support is top notch.. everything ins configurable via the tools provided by Stefan Achatz

Its a time to give my personal review about my new keyboard. Roccat Ryos MK Glow - a Mechanical Gaming Keyboard with good opensource Linux driver support.

Comment

Meh.

For me only useable is timeless classic design- copy of early Logitech Pilot, cheap copies of which are nowadays sold as OEM mouse literally for few ? ( last time I took a few for ?3/pc).

I wanted to tzra something different, so I took one of those Roccats only to throw it back on the shelf and revert to good old no-name rodent.

Roccat looks very nice, but it works much less so. Above all, it doesn't have that silky smooth feeling on musepad, it's significantly heavier and its cable has much more drag.

I don't care abaout dpi or inches/s speed. For me, regular 800 dpi is plenty enough.

Comment

Sadly it looks gamerish. No thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
            ....The title of the article is: "A Linux-friendly GAMING Mouse"
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              A gaming mouse that looks gamerish. Who would've thought

I own a Roccat Kova+ and while its a good mouse, in hot summer conditions it oozes glue from under the side panels resulting in a sticky mess.
              A google search will show I'm not alone.

I'd be interested to know if they've addressed this fault ?
              (may get a hair dryer on it for a few minutes !)

Comment

I would like a mouse that fully supports linux as I find that some of my mice don't play well. Razer for example has 0 support for Linux, and if they do it's their fans doing it. The problem though is my mouse has extra buttons which I really like having for games. It's also kinda nice for going forward and back in web pages and etc. I'm very picky with my mice cause I like at least one extra button on the left and right side of the mouse. Two extra are even better, cause it allows me to do more things in games.

I currently have SteelSeries mouse in fact this very SteelSeries mouse for $30. I bought it a year ago for that price so yea. It has Call of Duty logo on it and I don't play that game but I don't care. The mouse feels amazing in my hands and has the buttons I seek. It's technically a SteelSeries Sensei which costs $90 on Newegg so yea. But like Razer their Linux support for those extra buttons are only supported with a badly done community project.

Does the ROCCAT LUA work well? I have no idea, but Linux support? Why does a 3 button mouse need support? It's also not even officially supported which is just sad. It's a linux mouse that has official unofficial linux support, but hey a fan did a really good job making software for it. Also for $20 you can get whatever brand this mouse is cause Amazon told me it's today sponsor or something. It's 3200 Dpi vs the 2000 Dpi of the ROCCAT and it has 2 extra buttons that you probably can't use in Linux. I can't comment on feel but for $20 it's not a bad mouse for those who just need 3 buttons but Amazon reviews are pretty high. It kinda looks like a re-branded Logitech Anywhere MX mouse with a wire coming out of it.
                Last edited by Dukenukemx; 28 September 2014, 02:09 PM.

Comment

@Ericg & @gripped

It could have non gaming aesthetics and still be usable for gaming. But anyway. They know their target audience.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                    I would like a mouse that fully supports linux as I find that some of my mice don't play well. Razer for example has 0 support for Linux, and if they do it's their fans doing it. The problem though is my mouse has extra buttons which I really like having for games. It's also kinda nice for going forward and back in web pages and etc. I'm very picky with my mice cause I like at least one extra button on the left and right side of the mouse. Two extra are even better, cause it allows me to do more things in games.
                    I have a Razer Naga mouse and never had a problem with it. The back/forward buttons work in the browser and I use the side buttons as Blender hot keys. I've never used it for MMO gaming on Linux, so I can't tell you your mileage in that realm, but I'm definitely happy with the Linux support (even if it is owned community).

I agree that it is desirable to have support from the actual company that produces the hardware.

Comment

Working...
                    X