Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opera 15 Is Here, But Not Yet For Linux Users

Phoronix: Opera 15 Is Here, But Not Yet For Linux Users

The Norwegians announced today Opera 15, the first release of their closed-source cross-platform web-browser that's now powered by Google's Chromium/Blink engine...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

hmmmm...... I'm not liking the way it's turning out so far. It is way too chromium-like and is missing like... 90% of the features that made Opera a compelling choice. Really sucks, I liked things such as side-tabs, grouped tabs, changing browser identification, customizing the interface, creating search engines, replacing the URL bar with the progress bar, etc. Though personally, I don't really care that the mail client is separate.
    Last edited by schmidtbag; 03 July 2013, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      hmmmm...... I'm not liking the way it's turning out so far. It is way too chromium-like and is missing like... 90% of the features that made Opera a compelling choice. Really sucks, I liked things such as side-tabs, grouped tabs, changing browser identification, customizing the interface, creating search engines, replacing the URL bar with the progress bar, etc. Though personally, I don't really care that the mail client is separate.
      Haven't tried it yet, but if it's like Chromium I'll either stop updating it (Opera has been my main browser for years...) or move to Firefox. If I wanted Chromium I would have installed that, not Opera.

Comment

It's even worse than chromium, almost no settings...

Comment

A new google chrome skin is here.

I guess it's the 350th localized/specialized Chrome version. Here in my country at least 20 different companies distribute their "own" web browser - all based on Google Chrome.

Comment

A Chrome skin, with no native support for bookmarks, and an insecure URL bar. Welp, it's time to look for new browsers.

I hear FF sucks too nowadays. Is there any decent browser left?

Comment

I had hoped opera 15 would be good, but even the most basic opera features are now missing, like smooth-scrolling and bookmarks. Its a shame, I really used to like opera aside from its occasional site compatability issues.

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              A Chrome skin, with no native support for bookmarks, and an insecure URL bar. Welp, it's time to look for new browsers.

I hear FF sucks too nowadays. Is there any decent browser left?
              IMO firefox is as good as its ever been. Right now its the only browser on linux that has all the features I need, has great addons, and butter smooth scrolling . Recent versions of firefox are also pretty good performance wise. Chrome still definitely wins when it comes to UI responsiveness under load, but when it comes to everything else they are fairly comparable, and firefox has way better scrolling and memory usage. I'm definitely sticking with firefox for the forseeable future, its still a great browser.
              Last edited by bwat47; 03 July 2013, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
                I had hoped opera 15 would be good, but even the most basic opera features are now missing, like smooth-scrolling and bookmarks. Its a shame, I really used to like opera aside from its occasional site compatability issues.

IMO firefox is as good as its ever been. Right now its the only browser on linux that has all the features I need, has great addons, and butter smooth scrolling . Recent versions of firefox are also pretty good performance wise. Chrome still definitely wins when it comes to UI responsiveness under load, but when it comes to everything else they are fairly comparable, and firefox has way better scrolling and memory usage. I'm definitely sticking with firefox for the forseeable future, its still a great browser.
                I'm thinking of switching to FF myself. I haven't really touched it for personal use since the 3.xx days, so I'm sure it might be worth looking into again. Besides, one reason I liked FF in the past was the power of it's extensions. Most features Opera has (had) can be found in extensions. The annoying part is finding them all and the amount of extra resources they take up compared to Opera. However, I think my computer is more than capable of handling FF just fine.

Comment

Source or gtfo

I say source or get the fuck out!

Show us the source of fuck off!
                  Proprietary asshats!

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    I say source or get the fuck out!

Show us the source of fuck off!
                    Proprietary asshats!
                    And you feel entitled to dictate the license developers have to use because of what exactly?

Comment

Working...
                    X