Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Commercial Game For Linux That's Not An FPS

Phoronix: A New Commercial Game For Linux That's Not An FPS

There's a new commercial game coming to Linux that's not yet-another-first-persons-shooter. Besides not being an FPS, one of the most common genres of Linux native commercial games, the game studio behind this title claims "there are some technical details about this game that make it completely unique within Linux."..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looking forward to this one. I hope the track editor makes it over to Linux too.

Comment

For those having trouble displaying their videos on the webpage, direct links are here:

Looks like an F-Zero clone, not sure I'm interested in that.

Comment

I like how the Phoronix-links here are all in one paragraph at the end, and not before the link to the actual subject of the article. That could still be moved to actually be the first link though.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Phoronix: A New Commercial Game For Linux That's Not An FPS

There's a new commercial game coming to Linux that's not yet-another-first-persons-shooter. Besides not being an FPS, one of the most common genres of Linux native commercial games, the game studio behind this title claims "there are some technical details about this game that make it completely unique within Linux."..

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTAxNjQ
          Looks like a remake of Bullfrog's Hi-Octane... sexy.. Hope it's at least as much fun as Hi-Octane was..

Comment

Mike,

Ask them to release a reduced functionality benchmark. Add the benchmark to the PTS. All it needs to be is a no-input timedemo.

It's free advertising and testing for them. It's a free benchmark for PTS.

Win win.

Make it happen. Ready, set, go!

Comment

hello all

>Looking forward to this one. I hope the track editor makes it over to Linux too.

actually you have to do additional racetracks in any 3D modeling package that can export to .OBJ files, e.g. Blender. So you need modeling experience.
              the track editor tool for the mac is just a shiny front-end to some python scripts that convert the exported .OBJ files into the necessary format. The python scripts should work out-of-the box on linux, so it should be fine if you aren't afraid of the command line. Doing a front-end for linux too should be just a few minutes. I'm sure there are bugs in the 3rd party race-track support though, since no-one has built one yet ;-(

>Looks like an F-Zero clone
              >Looks like a remake of Bullfrog's Hi-Octane

Actually the inspiration has been another big anti gravity racer (think about the year 2097).

bye, julian

Comment

GNUStep is awesome.

As I've been saying for years, GNUStep is where linux should be putting its desktop development effort. You gain OSX compatability AND a better desktop experience. Not to mention Linux could actually gain a decent video API.

Comment

six guns, six maps, and six ships.
                  6 6 6

hmm.. I think we need one more of something. Another map would be nice. haha

Comment

Looks interesting. There's been a spate of racing games lately, including Forza 4 (couple friends worked on that) and Nitronic Rush (which, while not as polished or complete looking as Core Breach, was made from scratch with no existing engine or physics toolkit at all and by just a handful of students with only a couple years' worth of prior programming experience).

Also, the codename of the game I'm working on now is... very very similar to Core Breach. Might need a new codename. [and this one _does_ run on Linux, at least right now; may or may not by release time, depending on various factors]

Comment

Working...
                    X