Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Core i3 2120

Phoronix: Intel Core i3 2120

Since the January launch of Intel's Sandy Bridge processors, there have been countless articles on Phoronix about Sandy Bridge under Linux. Initially detailing the troubled experience of getting the integrated graphics working but then to a point of nirvana with the open-source Intel Linux graphics driver working well and a continual stream of performance optimizations and other enhancements since that point. Sandy Bridge under Linux is now great and it is to be loved. It's also looking like Ivy Bridge on Linux will be a success, but we're still a couple months out until that hardware is released to the public. Until then, we are looking at a few more Sandy Bridge processors. In this review, for those not at XDC2011 Chicago this week, is a look at the Linux performance of the Intel Core i3 2120.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Core i5 2500K has no Hyper Threading. It's a pure 4-core/4-thread part.

Comment

Agree

Originally posted by Wielkie G View Post
      Core i5 2500K has no Hyper Threading. It's a pure 4-core/4-thread part.
      He's right : http://ark.intel.com/products/52210/...ache-3_30-GHz)

Also, both the Intel? Core? i3 2120 and the Intel? Core? i3-2100 Processor have only two cores. Not four. (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ei3_2120&num=3 on the open benchmarking.org image) http://ark.intel.com/products/53426/...ache-3_30-GHz) http://ark.intel.com/products/53422/...ache-3_10-GHz)

The 3rd gen i processors are likely to be up to six months away. Not a couple of months.
      If the focus of this article is on graphics then why compare hd 3000 and hd 2000 without making that distinction? Not all Sandybridge cpus share the same gpu type.

The other thing that strikes me is that you are benchmarking the i3 which is not aimed at the kind of people who are interested in performance. It is a budget offering.
      Why not benchmark the top end i7 against the i5 2500k instead? But ignore the graphics results as they are largely irrelevant due to the fact that they will ultimately be very similar or the same.

This whole article just seems like a poorly constructed advert for Intel processors and offers some very incorrect information. Although probably by accident.

Comment

Yes, i5 2500K has 4 cores/4 threads.
        BUT i3-2100 and i3-2120 both have 2 cores/4 threads (thanks to Heaper-Threading). That's why in some tasks, the 2100 can quite well compete with the 2500.

Comment

Michael, how about VA-API? Is this processor enough for htpc with any video formats, or does it still need a discrete nvidia for some hd formats?

Comment

140$ is a budget offering? Where do you live :P

Comment

Power

I wish you would not only show the power usage under load, but the power usage with the system ad idle. Many of use run servers that spend most of their time not doing much, and the power usage there is much more important to us.

digid

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                140$ is a budget offering? Where do you live :P
                140 USD is ~ 100 Euro. By Intel pricing standards that's a budget offering. If you want real budget offering you buy AMD of course

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                  140 USD is ~ 100 Euro. By Intel pricing standards that's a budget offering. If you want real budget offering you buy AMD of course
                  Nah for lga1155 there are under 100? pentiums and under 50? celerons. Those are real intel budget processors:

And for hint Celeron G540 is much more powerful that amd athlon X2 250(which I have)...

Comment

apples and oranges

The Intel Core i5 2500K carries a retail price of around $220 USD, which is about $90 USD more than the Core i3 2120,
                    It looks like at the very end of the article, you realize that you comparison-benchmarked it against the wrong thing. How about against other $130 CPUs? AnonymousCoward's "If you want real budget offering you buy AMD of course" statement is exactly what you should have explored, IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                    X