Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gnash Starts To Shine With Fourth Beta Release

Phoronix: Gnash Starts To Shine With Fourth Beta Release

Gnash, the Free Software Foundation project to create a completely open-source SWF movie player and browser plug-in that aims to be compatible with a majority of Adobe Flash files, has reached version 0.8.5, which is its fourth beta release. There's quite a bit of new work in Gnash 0.8.5 including MIT-SHM and X-Video support, NetConnection compatibility with more video sites, support for saving all streamed/loaded video files to disk, support for new codecs to maintain compatibility with YouTube videos, support for FLV parsing and decoding of H.264 video and AAC audio, a new GUI for KDE4 / Qt4 with SWF properties and Gnash preferences dialog boxes, support for Speex using libspeex, and improved remoting support. The mentioned changes were just what we had found interesting from the official Gnash 8.5 change-log...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looks great! This is out-featuring Adobe's version already (Xv and Qt/KDE, yay!)

Comment

The sooner I can get rid of Adobe's player the better.

Comment

Hopefully with XV support, I'll now have a way of watching the new widescreen-formatted youtube vids without having to use youtube-dl due to the official flash plugin choking up on any vid posted in the last few months.

Comment

Originally posted by etnlWings View Post
          Hopefully with XV support, I'll now have a way of watching the new widescreen-formatted youtube vids without having to use youtube-dl due to the official flash plugin choking up on any vid posted in the last few months.
          Better yet, add vdpau support and blow by adobe.

Comment

Support for saving all streamed (FLV, H264, MP3 etc) and loaded
            (JPEG, SWF, PNG, GIF) media to disk.
            That is just the coolest feature ever!!!

Comment

This enables even cheaper netbooks with CPUs nobody ever heard of :-)

Comment

I'm so sick of my laptop's fan having a fit every time any kind of Flash appears on a page. It's ridiculous. I'd love to ditch Adobe's plugin. I've tried Gnash a couple of times over the years but it didn't play much at the time. How well does it actually work now? Anyone tried it?

Comment

my 64bit system say thanks

Comment

Originally posted by fabioamd87 View Post
                    my 64bit system say thanks
                    There's something lacking in the recently released 64-bit flash plugin from Adobe?

Well, moreso than the 32-bit plugin from Adobe?

Comment

Working...
                    X