Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FFmpeg Picks Up Support For New Formats

Phoronix: FFmpeg Picks Up Support For New Formats

While there still is no official release of FFmpeg, committed to their SVN repository last night was support for several new formats. FFmpeg has picked up a QCELP/PureVoice speech decoder, floating point PCM decoder and encoder, Nellymoser ASAO encoder, Electronic Arts TGQ decoder, Speex decoding via libspeex, MXF muxer, E-AC-3 support, and a RealVideo 4.0 decoder. FFmpeg is a popular open-source project that supports audio/video encoding and decoding with numerous codecs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

very interesting news. I hope ubuntu 9.4 will update its ffmpeg package to a newer svn revision.
    Last edited by bulletxt; 04 December 2008, 11:59 AM.

Comment

I wish they could support the intel Indeo 5 video codec, a considerable number of old videos around are coded that way, as it was once default on Windows.

Comment

What happened to the efforts for generic frame-level multithreading support? It was a Google SOC project and as far as I know it's quite finished.

Comment

Is Real Video 4.0 the latest Real codec?

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
            Is Real Video 4.0 the latest Real codec?
            As far as I can tell, yes it is:

This is pretty exciting news, as rv40 was one of the few remaining codecs people use binary .dll's for.

Comment

This is even better than I thought

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
                This is even better than I thought
                Just so you know, Real Video 3.0 isn't finished yet- so if you have those format videos, it's going to be a little longer.

Comment

A few notes

Michael: it's unlikely there will be a formal release, so it's better to just treat it like versions of Wine: every version is (or should be) better than the previous one (and if it's not, that's a bug).

The frame-level multithreading is progressing slowly- it's in a seperate branch- ffmpeg-mt (accessible here: http://gitorious.org/projects/ffmpeg/repos/ffmpeg-mt)
                  From the experiences of people who have tried it, and used it in their programs, 2 cores gets a decent bump up, but 4 cores is where it gets really good performance. This test: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...39#post1214539 shows about a 300% gain over plain FFmpeg.

Bulletx: Sadly, your best bet now (and for the forseeable future) will be to build your own (or possibly get them from debian-multimedia.org) There's a great guide on the Ubuntu forums on how to build FFmpeg & x264 from source.

Comment

ffmpeg is getting better, but for me it is still not good enough to watch h264 ts for example using kaffeine. It works for some frames, then the errors come and artefacts. In bad cases the codec fails completely - with too many bad bits.

Comment

Working...
                    X