Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LGP's Jets 'n' Guns Gone Gold

Phoronix: LGP's Jets 'n' Guns Gone Gold

Towards the middle of last month X3: Reunion had finally gone gold after being in the porting process by Linux Game Publishing for almost two years. This game is finally shipping to customers by the end of this week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, delayed once again - no surprise here.
    But hey, at least we got fresh patches for Knights and Merchants demo! LOL

Comment

Apparently they don't do "digital download only", which is rather dissapointing to me. One would assume that their DRM system is good enough not to have a box shipped to you to play...

Comment

Couldnt they have ported something worth while? Like Crysis, Red Alert 3, Far Cry ?

Comment

Originally posted by cruiseoveride View Post
          Couldnt they have ported something worth while? Like Crysis, Red Alert 3, Far Cry ?
          I don't think thats even worth getting into, first off, those games are AAA titles, they cost alot of money to port. I mean if you have 500,000$+ please step up . Plus I mean, lets face it, Crysis really isn't that good... I don't think any of those 3 games will be missed.

Comment

Have you played those games? Not fun. However, I see your point. Linux needs a few AAA games that are not First Person Shooters. An RTS or a good RPG would be great.

Comment

Do you happen to have a quarter of a million burning a hole in your pocket?

That's about what it'd take to obtain just the privilege to look at the code- that doesn't get into what the royalties run per copy of the title. Discard notions of "more money" in your head. Unless you're talking 50-100k units you're not talking "more money" for most of the AAA titles. Historically, Linux has sold, at most, 2000 more units of any one given title. Usually, however, because people feel entitled to the stuff when they bought a Linux copy, or they don't feel that it's worth the price, the titles that have been published end up selling something like 200-500 units- because people couldn't wait for the official Linux version and bought and "converted" to Linux (Id: Q3:Arena- 200 total units...) or bittorrent them (Pretty much most of the other titles out there...).

Before you comment on iD and Epic doing stuff for us- they chose to do that and it's not the same story as LGP, Runesoft, or anyone else for that matter porting the title. Before you comment on icculus doing stuff, it's typically something he gets a shot at when they contract him to do their standalone multiplayer servers- and typically it doesn't get to be made available even when they let him do it. Before you comment on S2 Games, Hothead, Oddlabs, or a handful of other indie studios- it's because they're indie and they like Linux that we have those titles.

What gets ported is what people can manage to obtain rights access deals on. You can't wave a wand and just get Far Cry or any of the others you commented on. It doesn't work that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                Stuff
                After a point you might as well stop repeating yourself. It'll always be the same, give them a hand and they'll want the whole arm.

Comment

Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
                  After a point you might as well stop repeating yourself. It'll always be the same, give them a hand and they'll want the whole arm.
                  Heh... You've got a point there...

It's just that people that keep bitching about "old" titles don't seem to have a clue and keep thinking they're entitled to something- it rubs me the wrong way, I s'pose...

Comment

Working...
                  X