Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's Now Even LLVM Support For Pascal-86

Phoronix: There's Now Even LLVM Support For Pascal-86

The latest programming language that can leverage using LLVM and its plethora of back-ends is Pascal-86, a language most Phoronix readers have probably never even heard of...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTczODY

Vector pascal

It would be interesting if he could incorporate the Vector Pascal extensions and optimizations.

Comment

Originally posted by fithisux View Post
      It would be interesting if he could incorporate the Vector Pascal extensions and optimizations.
      Then you might as well look into FreePascal. There is a branch (still in development) implementing an LLVM compiler backend. I have no idea how far that is, though. I use FreePascal "directly", since all targets I need are supported and the optimizations are fine for me :-)

Comment

> The latest programming language that can leverage using LLVM and its plethora of back-ends is Pascal-86, a language most Phoronix readers have probably never even heard of.
        I think you mean front-ends

Comment

Originally posted by konserw View Post
          > The latest programming language that can leverage using LLVM and its plethora of back-ends is Pascal-86, a language most Phoronix readers have probably never even heard of.
          I think you mean front-ends
          No, he means back-ends. The whole point is that the front-end is language specific, and generates IR. a "neutral" middle part optimizes the IR. Then a back-end generates CPU specific machine language.
          So by creating a front-end for Pascal, one can immediately utilize the optimization architecture and run on a wide variety of CPUs, most notably one gets to run on the nightmare that is x86, or on ARM, without doing any CPU-specific work.

Comment

My mistake, sorry

Comment

Working...
            X