Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The D Language LLVM Compiler Updated With Numerous Changes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The D Language LLVM Compiler Updated With Numerous Changes

    Phoronix: The D Language LLVM Compiler Updated With Numerous Changes

    LDC that's the LLVM-based D language code compiler has been updated. LDC 0.13.0 was released last week with new features...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTczMTk

  • #2
    Code:
    s/Phobo/Phobos/

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by CleanCut View Post
      Code:
      s/Phobo/Phobos/
      Micheal apparently isn't into astronomy. :P

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by CleanCut View Post
        Code:
        s/Phobo/Phobos/
        Not Tango (the other D library). Looks like there's still Tango for D v1 and Phobos for D v2... a bit sad that these couldn't be integrated.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Cyborg16 View Post
          Not Tango (the other D library). Looks like there's still Tango for D v1 and Phobos for D v2... a bit sad that these couldn't be integrated.
          This always confused the heck out of me. Two standard libraries, two language versions (1 and 2.0). Yet 2.0 compiler versions were over 2.00 even before the official v2 release. What?

          Same thing with Python. Can't they all update to v3 or even v2.6 now? It's already 6 years old.

          Comment


          • #6
            We, users, have only one question, and one question only.

            Does Torus Trooper compile?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by caligula View Post
              This always confused the heck out of me. Two standard libraries, two language versions (1 and 2.0). Yet 2.0 compiler versions were over 2.00 even before the official v2 release. What?

              Same thing with Python. Can't they all update to v3 or even v2.6 now? It's already 6 years old.
              Well, Tango isn't actually an official D standard library. It was created by the community in the D1 days because Phobos was really bad back then.

              Because of the breaking changes in D2, the old D1 branch (and related standard libraries) was made stable and put into maintenance mode. As such, the Phobos and Phobos 2 libraries were made separate. I'm not really sure what you mean about 2.0 compiler versions being over 2.0 before release. Perhaps you are talking about the multiple releases before D2 was considered stable? In that case it can just be attributed to the "in development" nature of D at the time. Version 2.00 was the base "we're going to be making huge breaking changes from the previous version for a while" and subsequent releases were considered non-stable until declared stable (strange, I know, but D has always had a weird way of versioning in my opinion).

              Python is in a somewhat similar boat. They made breaking changes in version 3. However, instead of saying that version 2 is stable and just moving to a maintenance mode, they're kind of developing the two versions in parallel (although really version 2 was kept around to help people migrate and the 2.6 and 2.7 releases mostly contain backported features from the corresponding 3.x releases). A fairly large number of people didn't like the changes in version 3 and so have held off on using version 3 or the 2.x series that contain features from 3.x.

              Comment


              • #8
                A compiled language should never have version numbers with more than two digits.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by dee. View Post
                  A compiled language should never have version numbers with more than two digits.
                  Cuz I said so and that's final!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Dlang

                    The best and probably last of its kind (among c/c++/pascal/basic and others). They provide mingw support. I usually use the official compiler and sometimes I toy with ldc. I hope gdc also makes releases.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Awesome timing, just yesterday I installed DMD onto the Gentoo installation on my tablet (and tried compiling my Arcomage game with it on a i686 Linux for the first time; it compiles and runs, but often segfaults for some reason).

                      Originally posted by Etzos View Post
                      Perhaps you are talking about the multiple releases before D2 was considered stable? In that case it can just be attributed to the "in development" nature of D at the time. Version 2.00 was the base "we're going to be making huge breaking changes from the previous version for a while" and subsequent releases were considered non-stable until declared stable (strange, I know, but D has always had a weird way of versioning in my opinion).
                      I'm not sure how that's strange... It makes sense for the major version to show the "development cycle". Versions like "1.99.9999999" are definitely not a better idea. It's true that "2.0" makes people think of stability, though, which is why I made my own versioning specification that deals with that problem as well: http://greatemerald.xmpcommunity.com...ification.html
                      (Coincidentally I'm using it for the aforementioned Arcomage game, and it's currently version 1.alpha.12.05)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The timing on this is serendipitous - I was just working on getting DQt (a Qt wrapper library for D) working.
                        D is an awesome language - it's a shame it's not more well known.

                        Frontend, druntime and Phobos are at version 2.064.2. Building druntime/Phobos as shared libraries is not supported yet, but will likely be in the next 2.065-based release. The new DSO infrastructure to support shared libraries is already implemented.
                        I'm looking forward to this - without it LDC is unusable under Sabayon due to hardened GCC requiring PIC.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X