Valve Working Towards A New Steam Runtime SDK With GCC/Clang Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Working Towards A New Steam Runtime SDK With GCC/Clang Changes

Phoronix: Valve Working Towards A New Steam Runtime SDK With GCC/Clang Changes

Scott Ludwig of Valve shared some details this weekend about a new release of the Steam Runtime SDK they're working towards to improve the Linux gaming experience...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I had the bug. I just delete the "libstdc" file and steam and the games continue working properly.

Comment

I got into a fight with Valve dev about this bug in my bug report thread at their github, cause it looked like they don't give a fuck, nice to see I was mistaken.

Like always Valve communication skills are "exceptional" :P

Comment

If they just provided the most recent C/C++ libs, things should work even for games compiled with older libs? At least it does for my game (pure C, no C++).

Comment

Originally posted by gutigen View Post
          I got into a fight with Valve dev about this bug in my bug report thread at their github, cause it looked like they don't give a fuck, nice to see I was mistaken.

Like always Valve communication skills are "exceptional" :P
          "Getting into a fight" = being extremely rude and embarrassing yourself on a public bug tracker because the unstable git packages you installed broke the steam runtime. Github is not customer support.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
            "Getting into a fight" = being extremely rude and embarrassing yourself on a public bug tracker because the unstable git packages you installed broke the steam runtime. Github is not customer support.
            If I felt that I embarrassed myself, I wouldn't link to that thread As for unstable git packages, I completely agree, problem was with that Valve's asshole attitude. Bug tracking and reporting tool at github in this case is part of customer support, since it's the only place where we can actually communicate with Valve about linux issues. The moment that asshole from Valve has engaged in conversation with me, he became part of customer support and should've behave accordingly.

Valve always had a big problem with not giving a fuck about customers (do not mistake customer with community), that's just one small example of it. Valve simply needs some competition to force their heads out of their asses, hopefully GOG will fix this.
            Last edited by gutigen; 22 June 2014, 10:45 AM.

Comment

They were as polite as they could be towards you. What else would you want in that thread for you consider them "caring"?

You should be ashamed for being so rude. They gave you support, the problem was with the driver, they addressed the issue, and you still gave them crap.

Understand that they don't have to do anything with this problem as it isn't a problem with Steam at all.

Comment

Bug tracking and reporting tool at github in this case is part of customer support, since it's the only place where we can actually communicate with Valve about linux issues.
                Valve has a Customer Support system in place, and there's also the Steam for Linux HUB and associated forum.

The (actual) bug is being worked on, and you would have gotten a similar response in other issue trackers--Valve is not special in this regard. I don't see why you're so worked up.

Comment

If I felt that I embarrassed myself, I wouldn't link to that thread As for unstable git packages, I completely agree, problem was with that Valve's asshole attitude. Bug tracking and reporting tool at github in this case is part of customer support, since it's the only place where we can actually communicate with Valve about linux issues. The moment that asshole from Valve has engaged in conversation with me, he became part of customer support and should've behave accordingly.

Valve always had a big problem with not giving a fuck about customers (do not mistake customer with community), that's just one small example of it. Valve simply needs some competition to force their heads out of their asses, hopefully GOG will fix this.
                  I read the thread and you were acting like an entitled child: "Issue is somewhere between git mesa, oibaf ppa and Steam/TF2, not my system per se. So perhaps at least try to do your f****** job and check with people maintaing mesa and oibaf ppa yourself. I'd be glad to provide any logs if needed."

Translation: "Hey Valve, I installed unsupported code, blamed you for the problem it caused and then insulted your representative for not taking the trouble to independently contact the people who provided me with the unsupported code I installed to figure out what's different about it."

Maybe you should actually read the thread you posted as you were explained exactly this by multiple people there. I only see one asshole in the entire thread and I'll give you a hint, it's not the Valve rep.

Comment

He probably wanted to hear that he's a hero for being rude towards developers who're giving their best and he's most certainly sure that it was his rudeness that got them working.
                    In that regard this is a bad lesson because when he believes that he got rewarded for behaving in a bad manner he'll just keep on doing it.

And that's the huge problem with our Linux community: other OSs certainly do have users with bad behaviour, too. But when you're such a small community those people just stand out from the crowd even more and after a short period of time everyone believes that Linux only has those people and simply doesn't want to make business with them.

Comment

Working...
                    X