Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oracle Finally Releases Java 8

Phoronix: Oracle Finally Releases Java 8

At long last Oracle has officially made available Java 8...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYzNTI

Oracle doesn't distribute a .deb package for Debian/Ubuntu, but it can be generated with java-package 0.53:

Code:
    $ apt-get install java-package
    $ make-jpkg jdk-8-linux-x64.tar.gz

Comment

Originally posted by ebourg View Post
      Oracle doesn't distribute a .deb package for Debian/Ubuntu, but it can be generated with java-package 0.53:

Code:
      $ apt-get install java-package
      $ make-jpkg jdk-8-linux-x64.tar.gz
      i hate that they dont provide one -.-
      i find myself using webupd8 ppa: http://www.webupd8.org/2012/01/insta...buntu-via.html
      for easy install and update.

is there a reason why they dont provide a deb file or even better put it on the store?

Comment

because they love red hat

Originally posted by TheSoulz View Post
        i hate that they dont provide one -.-
        i find myself using webupd8 ppa: http://www.webupd8.org/2012/01/insta...buntu-via.html
        for easy install and update.

is there a reason why they dont provide a deb file or even better put it on the store?

because they love red hat, like intel do with this openclsdk, but a ppa exists, not really a problem

Comment

Thanks for the props, op!

I just expand the .tar.gz archive into ~/opt/jdk/jdk1.8.0/. For development, it's best not to use the repo system, hence tools like rbenv in Ruby.

The only advantage to a repository version of Java is to support other Java apps in the repo.

Jigsaw supposedly will make application distribution a lot better on Linux in Java 9

Comment

Awesome! Switching as soon as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by DanLamb View Post
              I just expand the .tar.gz archive into ~/opt/jdk/jdk1.8.0/. For development, it's best not to use the repo system, hence tools like rbenv in Ruby.
              We do the same... via a somewhat arcane packaging process, our dev machines at work have all the different versions of our techstack parallel-installed under /opt, so there's a directory with about eight different Java versions in it, ranging from 1.4 to 7. I'll have to see if I can clean out any of the old versions when we start looking at 8...

Comment

the problem of non-transparent icons in the system tray. Does this corrected?
                since I enter the world gnu / linux, this aesthetic problem has always existed.

Comment

Originally posted by DanLamb View Post

The only advantage to a repository version of Java is to support other Java apps in the repo.
                  Meh, I just use apt to install openjdk[78]. That way I get updates as they're tagged/built, and given that OpenJDK is the official reference platform for Oracle JDK (at least I'm pretty sure I read something to that effect), I figure I'm not missing much.

Comment

Is OpenJDK 8 stable and working well?

Comment

Working...
                    X