Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC Update Brings More Than 100 Bug-Fixes

Phoronix: GCC Update Brings More Than 100 Bug-Fixes

The GNU Compiler Collection 4.7.1 release is available as of this morning...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTExOTg

Hopefully now 4.7 will get un-hardmasked in gentoo soon, I have a trinity notebook arriving in about a week and want 4.7's awesome bulldozer optimizations.

Comment

Originally posted by chris200x9 View Post
      Hopefully now 4.7 will get un-hardmasked in gentoo soon, I have a trinity notebook arriving in about a week and want 4.7's awesome bulldozer optimizations.
      Could always unmask it - if you don't need anything listed in the 4.7 tracker. I'm going to take that dive myself in a few days, mostly because I want the extra C++11 support.

Comment

I was waiting for the .1 release too, for I hear LTO is finally stable and usable for most things.

Comment

117 bugs.

(char limitation)

Comment

Seems to be working so far, but generates far bigger code with -Os and only gets back to equivalent-sized binaries compared to 4.2 with -flto.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              Seems to be working so far, but generates far bigger code with -Os and only gets back to equivalent-sized binaries compared to 4.2 with -flto.
              Out of curiosity - is that a full world rebuild? I plan on that, possibly followed by a few days of "oh bugger, that broke", but I hear that it's not too awful (if you set it up properly, of course).
              (note to self: leave libreoffice out, that thing takes too long to build)

Comment

Originally posted by chris200x9 View Post
                There's still a number of packages that simply don't compile with gcc-4.7 until these are fixed it's unlikely it'll be hard unmasked

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
                  Out of curiosity - is that a full world rebuild? I plan on that, possibly followed by a few days of "oh bugger, that broke", but I hear that it's not too awful (if you set it up properly, of course).
                  (note to self: leave libreoffice out, that thing takes too long to build)
                  LibreOffice isn't compiling with gcc-4.7 atm anyway

Comment

I've actually tested this on a KDE desktop PC. I've built the whole system (over 1000 packages) with GCC 4.7 and LTO. I posted my finding here:

http://realnc.blogspot.com/2012/06/b...cc-47-and.html

Comment

Oh cool, cheers RealNC.

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
                        Out of curiosity - is that a full world rebuild?
                        No, just some apps I'm developing.

(being mistaken for a Gentoo user, is that good or bad?)

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                          No, just some apps I'm developing.

(being mistaken for a Gentoo user, is that good or bad?)
                          My bad. I should probably not post when I can't fully concentrate. Reading back now, don't know why I assumed that. Might go crawl back into my hole now.

Comment

The sane release process and the availability of bugfix updates is the main reason why llvm/clang is not going to catch up to gcc any time soon.

Comment

Working...
                            X