Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Benchmarks Of GCC 4.2 Through GCC 4.7 Compilers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Originally posted by Ansla View Post
    This does not necessarily mean if you'll try to build any of these packages with latest gcc and -O3 the resulting binary will be completely broken, the breakage might only occur with older gcc versions, only on some arches, or even only in some corner use cases.
    Are these filters removed once someone validates them against a newer compiler or will they remain in the list indefinitely? Would be interesting to know how old some of these flag filters are which you mentioned.

    Originally posted by Ansla View Post
    The thing is, in order for a flag to be filtered someone must report a bug of the resulting binary not working properly while working when compiling with -O2.
    Any chance you could point me to the bug report for VisualboyAdvance? I did extensive benchmarking tests with this against Mess's gba implementation not that long ago and encountered no problems at all using -O3.

    Originally posted by Ansla View Post
    Long story short, optimization should not theoretically affect what the code does, but every gcc branch has known bugs, and O3 being not officially recommended and not so widely used as O2 will contain even more undiscovered bugs.
    Yes every compiler has bugs, that's inescapable given the complexity of what they are doing. However I can't say I've encountered many bugs due to -O3 when compiling packages, I have encountered many instances where -O3 generates slower code than -O2 though.

    Originally posted by Ansla View Post
    P.S. it might be that locovaca was referring to the effects of -fast-math when saying O3 code will compute 2+2=5, but that's not enabled by O3. only -Ofast enables fast-math that will break almost any program that is not a game or multimedia codec.
    Actually, I've used -ffast-math for things like Blender and it generated indentical output to that of not using it (although I was merely rendering using BI, not using any of the simulation engines), it depends on the precision required by the application. I'd say there are by far fewer programs out there that will break or generate faulty output due to loss of precision than those for which it will.

    Comment


    • #22
      I didn't notice your reply at the time you posted it, only now because of the spammer, so sorry for the late reply.

      Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
      Are these filters removed once someone validates them against a newer compiler or will they remain in the list indefinitely? Would be interesting to know how old some of these flag filters are which you mentioned.
      Some of these filters stay for a very long time, usually uses don't log bugs saying "hey, that old problem I had with O3 no longer happens", so unless a developer has access to a setup similar to the original bug reporter and is in the mood for some cleanup they will stay indefinitely.

      Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
      Any chance you could point me to the bug report for VisualboyAdvance? I did extensive benchmarking tests with this against Mess's gba implementation not that long ago and encountered no problems at all using -O3.
      In the case of VisualboyAdvance it seams it wasn't the case of bad code generation but memory usage while compiling, the bug is https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=64670 Also, VisualboyAdvance is only keyworded for the major architectures (amd64, ppc and x86), bad code generation is most likely to happen on less popular architectures like sparc or sh.

      Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
      Yes every compiler has bugs, that's inescapable given the complexity of what they are doing. However I can't say I've encountered many bugs due to -O3 when compiling packages, I have encountered many instances where -O3 generates slower code than -O2 though.
      Still, the risk is always present, here is an example of bad code generation on amd64: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=356087

      Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
      Actually, I've used -ffast-math for things like Blender and it generated indentical output to that of not using it (although I was merely rendering using BI, not using any of the simulation engines), it depends on the precision required by the application. I'd say there are by far fewer programs out there that will break or generate faulty output due to loss of precision than those for which it will.
      I never experimented with -ffast-math as i prefer correctness over speed, but here's an interesting blog post about this option http://programerror.com/2009/09/when...ast-math-isnt/ It might be worth checking if programs that enable it by default (like mesa and ffmpeg if I remember correctly) wouldn't benefit from removing -ffast-math

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by Ansla View Post
        I didn't notice your reply at the time you posted it, only now because of the spammer, so sorry for the late reply.
        No problem, I was surprised to see this one float up again

        Originally posted by Ansla View Post
        Some of these filters stay for a very long time, usually uses don't log bugs saying "hey, that old problem I had with O3 no longer happens", so unless a developer has access to a setup similar to the original bug reporter and is in the mood for some cleanup they will stay indefinitely.
        I see, well I wonder how many of the bugs from the list you showed are very old (as in obsolete) and/or less supported architectures. Again I can only go by the experience I have and those from work and -O3 has been very stable, although not always the fastest.

        Originally posted by Ansla View Post
        In the case of VisualboyAdvance it seams it wasn't the case of bad code generation but memory usage while compiling,
        Ok, might explain why I encountered any problems since this bug was 3 years old and according to the bug report was also marked as fixed 3 years ago.

        Originally posted by Ansla View Post
        Still, the risk is always present, here is an example of bad code generation on amd64: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=356087
        A question, this (unless I misread) bug is with an old compiler, 4.3.2. The 4.3 branch (which while maintained is quite old and probably not getting alot of love) is at 4.3.5 by now iirc, which makes me wonder what the default compiler is in Gentoo now? Also, is there any way to filter these bug reports according to compiler version?, since if I am at 4.6 I'm probably not very interested in bug reports generated towards version 4.3.

        Originally posted by Ansla View Post
        I never experimented with -ffast-math as i prefer correctness over speed, but here's an interesting blog post about this option http://programerror.com/2009/09/when...ast-math-isnt/ It might be worth checking if programs that enable it by default (like mesa and ffmpeg if I remember correctly) wouldn't benefit from removing -ffast-math
        Yes it's certainly something to be used with care, I doubt it's much used in scientific programs but for games, encoding (ffmpeg, x264) etc it can provide a nice speed boost. I've never come across it being slower with -ffast-math as in the link you provided but it's also not always faster. As for ffmpeg, x264 I doubt disabling -ffast-math would make much difference either way since these encoders use hand-optimized assembly for the performance critical parts. One could of course disable the asm and compare the performance of standard vs -ffast-math. Maybe I'll do that.

        Interesting though that ICC which defaults to a fast and less accurate floating point model was more correct than gcc's -ffast-math, I recall ICC had several floating point modes but I don't know which one is the default.

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
          I see, well I wonder how many of the bugs from the list you showed are very old (as in obsolete) and/or less supported architectures. Again I can only go by the experience I have and those from work and -O3 has been very stable, although not always the fastest.
          It's relatively easy to determine which filters are for less common architectures as a simple `grep "replace-flags -O3" /us

          Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
          Ok, might explain why I encountered any problems since this bug was 3 years old and according to the bug report was also marked as fixed 3 years ago.

          Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
          A question, this (unless I misread) bug is with an old compiler, 4.3.2. The 4.3 branch (which while maintained is quite old and probably not getting alot of love) is at 4.3.5 by now iirc, which makes me wonder what the default compiler is in Gentoo now? Also, is there any way to filter these bug reports according to compiler version?, since if I am at 4.6 I'm probably not very interested in bug reports generated towards version 4.3.

          Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
          Yes it's certainly something to be used with care, I doubt it's much used in scientific programs but for games, encoding (ffmpeg, x264) etc it can provide a nice speed boost. I've never come across it being slower with -ffast-math as in the link you provided but it's also not always faster. As for ffmpeg, x264 I doubt disabling -ffast-math would make much difference either way since these encoders use hand-optimized assembly for the performance critical parts. One could of course disable the asm and compare the performance of standard vs -ffast-math. Maybe I'll do that.
          Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
          Interesting though that ICC which defaults to a fast and less accurate floating point model was more correct than gcc's -ffast-math, I recall ICC had several floating point modes but I don't know which one is the default.

          Comment


          • #25
            Managed to submit the previous reply before finishing it and editing is broken again so ignore the previous post.

            Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
            I see, well I wonder how many of the bugs from the list you showed are very old (as in obsolete) and/or less supported architectures. Again I can only go by the experience I have and those from work and -O3 has been very stable, although not always the fastest.
            It's relatively easy to determine which filters are for less common architectures as a simple `grep "replace-flags -O3" /usr/portage` on a Gentoo machine will show stuff like use ppc && replace-flags -O3 -O2

            Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
            A question, this (unless I misread) bug is with an old compiler, 4.3.2. The 4.3 branch (which while maintained is quite old and probably not getting alot of love) is at 4.3.5 by now iirc, which makes me wonder what the default compiler is in Gentoo now? Also, is there any way to filter these bug reports according to compiler version?, since if I am at 4.6 I'm probably not very interested in bug reports generated towards version 4.3.
            The latest stable gcc at that time was 4.4.4, and the emerge --info attached to the bug shows it was installed, but for some reason the user had 4.3.2 as the active compiler. At this moment the latest stable or even testing version is 4.5.3 as 4.6 is still masked for various problems. BTW, Gentoo still has gcc-3.4.6 marked as stable so users are free to use that if they need to.

            Comment

            Working...
            X