Benchmarks in VirtualBox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benchmarks in VirtualBox

I am very new to virtualization and just recently installed virtual box. i want to check the performance of virtual box by running benchmarks on it..Is there any benchmarks that would run on the virtual box itself??

Originally posted by Shruthi23 View Post
    I am very new to virtualization and just recently installed virtual box. i want to check the performance of virtual box by running benchmarks on it..Is there any benchmarks that would run on the virtual box itself??
    Not that I'm aware off. That's a bit like asking: Is there a benchmark that runs on my computer itself? I don't really see the practical purpose of measuring the "raw" disk throughput (or whatever) of VirtualBox (same as with a physical computer). Unless your application runs directly on hardware, what's the point of knowing that the disk could potentially be a few percent faster if only there wasn't an operating system between you and the underlying hardware? A virtual machine emulates a physical machine as closely as possible, so you'll have to benchmark it like you'd benchmark a real machine.

Normally you'll want to compare performance of benchmark/application X on OS Y to benchmark/application X on virtualized OS Y. You might then be able to tell that running your use case on Database Server on a virtual machine is ~10% slower than running it on a dedicated machine. As long as you can't run Database Server directly on hardware, you can't run it on VirtualBox without first installing an OS in your virtual machine either.

Comment

Benchmarks in VirtualBox

This is one of the good articles you can find in the net explaining everything in detail regarding the topic. I thank you for taking your time sharing your thoughts and ideas to a lot of readers out there.

Comment

Working...
      X