Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Weekend Drive With OpenIndiana 151a

Phoronix: A Weekend Drive With OpenIndiana 151a

Last month to mark the one year anniversary of the OpenIndiana project there was the release of OpenIndiana 151a, the latest build of this Illumos-based Solaris operating system. I have finally had time to try out this latest OpenIndiana release and, of course, to run a few benchmarks.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=16535

Why would anyone run this?

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
      Why would anyone run this?
      ZFS is one obvious answer, though more applicable to servers than desktops.

Comment

ZFS is certainly suited to workstations/desktops, snapshots can be invaluable when working on projects, accidental deletions etc beadm is also superb for testing updates/package installs.

OpenIndiana is installed on my workstation where it runs very solidly, I make alot of use of zones, Crossbow, DTrace (via Chime) and besides, it's always good to learn something new

Comment

For server-type tasks, it looks like 151 matches or beats 147 on most tests, but on many workstation-oriented tests (code compilation for example) it seems to have actually regressed a bit. Oh well. I guess you can't have everything.

Comment

What I've found useful about OpenIndiana

If you want a server that:
            -provides a well seasoned file system that scales beyond imagination, snapshots, is it simple to extend
            -provides OS Virtualization that is very lightweight (Zones), when you don't want the overhead of machine virtualization
            -has current versions of Java available
            -has current versions of a great machine virtualization available (VirtualBox) and KVM

For all of these reasons I have been pleased with OpenIndiana 151a - one server has provided me 3 OS Virtualized PCs and 3 Hardware Virtualized PCs -

Comment

Working...
            X