Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nexenta 3.0 Benchmarked Against PC-BSD, OpenSolaris, Ubuntu

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    AFAIK the term "distribution" was coined because the released package included *more* than just an OS -- there were also applications etc... I don't think there is any doubt that the distributions include "a real OS".

    Comment


    • #22
      Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
      Benchmark it against Gentoo Linux and it will not do quite as well.
      A few months ago someone linked to a Gentoo vs Ubuntu test. There was a big discussion back then, because Ubuntu was faster than Gentoo more often than not.

      Also Linux. Sorry, I refuse to become a marketing drone for RMS.

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        You forgot Mesa/DRI
        Burnink in hell I shallt, da?

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
          A few months ago someone linked to a Gentoo vs Ubuntu test. There was a big discussion back then, because Ubuntu was faster than Gentoo more often than not.

          Also Linux. Sorry, I refuse to become a marketing drone for RMS.
          It was a binary flavor of Gentoo, and the big discussion was about whether or not that was truly representative of Gentoo or not.

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
            It was a binary flavor of Gentoo, and the big discussion was about whether or not that was truly representative of Gentoo or not.
            And the conclusion, if I remember correctly, was that performance considerations were secondary to the great learning experience Gentoo offers, and that if you actually care about stability, security and your own time you are much better off with any of the binary distributions out there. It's like houses really; you could build your own if you were so inclined, but you wouldn't expect the end result to be comparable to that of professionals.

            That's what I remember, I could be wrong.

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
              Benchmark it against Gentoo Linux and it will not do quite as well. It is fast in terms of non-Linux-based operating systems, but as far as Linux-based operating systems are concerned, it is not quite as fast. The main reason for that is its generic kernel. Alternative, but lesser performance penalties include its high memory usage from having bloated binaries, the version of GCC that is used for compilation and the flags used to compile various packages, although on a system with sufficient memory, bloated binaries probably are not much of an issue in the sorts of tests Phoronix is doing (i.e. things that are not load time tests will not show any difference) provided sufficient memory and GCC performance is fairly uniform across both recent versions and common compilation flags.
              Hasn't phononix not already shown that Gentoo is not really faster than Ubuntu or any other distro out there? If you want I can find you the link to the article.

              Comment


              • #27
                Originally posted by tball View Post
                Hasn't phononix not already shown that Gentoo is not really faster than Ubuntu or any other distro out there? If you want I can find you the link to the article.
                Errr... Gentoo is Linux too, so duh...

                The trick with Gentoo is that if you make your own system you only get what you want and nothing else, so that makes Gentoo faster for a lot of people.

                Is that realy so hard to grasp?

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by tball View Post
                  Hasn't phononix not already shown that Gentoo is not really faster than Ubuntu or any other distro out there? If you want I can find you the link to the article.
                  Yea, but that benchmark was flawed

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                    Errr... Gentoo is Linux too, so duh...

                    The trick with Gentoo is that if you make your own system you only get what you want and nothing else, so that makes Gentoo faster for a lot of people.

                    Is that realy so hard to grasp?
                    Did you read what I commented on? Apparently not.

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                      Yea, but that benchmark was flawed
                      I see :-) What was wrong?

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X