ideas to opensolaris as desktop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
    thinking about it airlie is rigth on some points, but i think what is making the big diff about driver stability is the nature of both kernels aka in linux if you want stability you cannot upgrade your kernel or distro excepting maybe enterprise distro like rh or novell cuz drivers in linux are too tied to the kernel inner api. for example my atheros card worked fine with kernel 2.6.30.6 but something break wpa2 auth in 2.6.30 .8(i think was 8) later 2.6.31.2 auth worked fine but it keep getting disconnected randomly then in 2.6.31.11 wpa2 auth is broken again aka never auth, this is my karmic office laptop. in my toshiba x205 home game laptop in 2.6.30 series nvidia driver worked relatively fine but it got a flicker that i didint have with jaunty 2.6.28(same driver version ofc), now in 2.6.31 the drivers never work unless kernel boot with acpi=off(seems that libc break something in acpi userland or backwards) but acpi=off broke initd script to load swap, so upgrade your kernel is all about luck any revision can break stuff in the nastiest way or it can work beautyfully. on the other hand in opensolaris i made a full upgrade from 200906 to 2010xx and so far nothing, even nvidia drivers are working without touch anything so i assume that opensolaris handle drivers with some sort of more stable outer api so it feels more stable
    Actually I have an Atheros based card. I compiled madwifi driver and after upgrade from 2.6.31.3 to 2.6.31.4 driver is working. However, maybe because of things you described they're making ath5k . Binary blobs don't interest me at all If everything is about stable vs unstable API I don't see much sense in continuing this, because some people prefer stable and some other people don't. There's also possibility there aren't many changes in Solaris kernel and thus it doesn't break things. I only 'tolerate' drivers which are provided with the Linux kernel archive - they shouldn't break too often if ever () and if I'm saying they're stable etc. I'm only according to such drivers.
    Last edited by kraftman; 10-14-2009, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jadrevenge View Post
      Hmm ... I cant find the USB3 thingamy anywhere, I saw a page on the screen of the ex-Sun guy in our office at the time it happened, which i believe was from a guy internal to Sun at the time (before i formatted his laptop and installed Ubuntu on it) ...

I'll retract it as uncited, fair play and all
      Afaik Linux is the first with USB3 support:

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/0...support-usb-30

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
        Afaik Linux is the first with USB3 support:

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/0...support-usb-30
        yeap maybe is ath5k driver the other dont recognize my card, about blobs well i still prefer a blob to play in my laptop that going to windows ofc oss driver for nvidia at least would be peachy, aka blob until noveau grow more

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
          yeap maybe is ath5k driver the other dont recognize my card, about blobs well i still prefer a blob to play in my laptop that going to windows ofc oss driver for nvidia at least would be peachy, aka blob until noveau grow more
          If I wouldn't have Windows installed and if I would have a choice to use blob or OS driver right now I would use blob to have great 3D support It seems OS drivers have better 2D support.

About Madwifi vs Ath5k it's the first time when Ath5k works better for me (it started working with Kubuntu 9.10-rc) and this is great, because Ath5k is in kernel, so I don't have to care about compatibility. While there's no stable API in Linux the best option is to have drivers in mainline IMHO.
          Last edited by kraftman; 10-23-2009, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X