Yeah, there are init levels ...

0 is shutdown (not turn off)
    S is single user (super-user)
    2 is single user
    3 is multi user
    5 is shutdown (power off if possible)
    6 is reboot (nice reboot)

the scripts to run these are in /etc/rcN.d

Solaris additionally has "Services" ... these can be accessed through the 'svcadm' and 'svccfg' commands. if you want to add services to inet add them to the bottom of /etc/inetd.conf then run 'inetconv' to convert them to a service.

/etc is where all the config files are generally stored.
    /usr is where all the usual apps are installed (a special directory under this is /usr/sfw which stores the 'Sun Free Ware' or GNU type packages ...)
    /opt is where the "Optional" packages are installed ... this is the place where most of your own apps should be installed.
    /var is where all the variable stuff gets stored, i.e. the log files (/var/adm/messages and /var/log/syslog)

most commands will still work.

Solaris has one notable improvement on Linux in the 32/64 bit ... it will quite happily run 32 bit apps on a 64 bit processor, so you don't have to work out the correct download from Adobe/others. Sorry that was an aside ...

"isainfo -v" shows whether you are running 64 bit
    "psrinfo -v" shows you what cores you have access to

"ifconfig -a" shows you all the "plumb"ed interface cards (same as just "ifconfig" on Linux)

if an interface is not "plumb"ed it will not show ... interfaces are named after the driver they use, none of them are called 'eth0' they'll be called rge0, bge0, nge0, iprb0, rtls0 or something similar ... you might be able to find out which these are by using "dladm" or you can probably plumb them all automatically by using "ifconfig -a plumb"

if you want to dhcp an interface, you have to plumb it first, then ask it to dhcp:

ifconfig bge0 plumb
    ifconfig bge0 dhcp

but that is all ... not this only changes the interface, not /etc/resolv.conf or /etc/nsswitch.conf

that should hopefully get you started.

Jon

Comment

Hi Jon,

Awesome! Thank you so much for this info!

The buld of this is familiar from a Linux point of view. It seems to be a lot of the "it is the same but different". I tried a few commands that I normally use, df -m and tar -xvzf, but they didn't work as I expected them to. Probably because they are the GNU versions of the software? Had to do df -h and gunzip first and then tar -xvf. Not a big deal but just different.

Again, thanks for this very helpful comparison info, it is greatly appreciated!

Comment

"/usr/sfw/bin/gtar -xzvf" should do it.

"df -h" should show df in a sensible amount

Comment

Originally posted by jadrevenge View Post
          "/usr/sfw/bin/gtar -xzvf" should do it.

"df -h" should show df in a sensible amount
          Yeah, this goes back to the "it's the same but different" that I said above.

Thanx!

Comment

ohh ... forgot to say; If you want a good process listing, 'prstat' should show it to you ... according to people in the know it's better than top (which, if you've installed the companion CD, is in /opt/sfw/bin)

Comment

I downloaded the companion CD too but haven't gotten to that yet. Will the companion CD work with Open Solaris as well? I think I got a little to giddy knowing that prstat might be better than top, especially for an OS that I'm just starting to seriously play with...

I have to ask though, because I don't see an interface for it, how do you add users [in Solaris 10]? Is it just adduser user and then passwd user from the command prompt or something similar [again whole same but different thing].

Keep any other additional hints coming, I'm loving these little revelations!

Comment

there is the SMC (System management console) but if you ask me (Yeah, I'm a luddite) it's just a world of pain ...

I have scripts set up here (We now use LDAP on our servers) that does all the setup and prompts for me ... but on a single machine you're as well of just manually doing it.

Companion CD doesn't work with OpenSolaris exactly ... I mean, the packages will work, but that's not the recommended way of getting the packages, there is the 'pkg-get' system now.

Comment

Working...
                X