Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Jolla Tablet Is Dead, But Refunds Could Take A While

Phoronix: The Jolla Tablet Is Dead, But Refunds Could Take A While

Jolla published a blog post today entitled "Jolla Tablet: Aiming for Closure" and it doesn't deliver much in the way of good news...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well that is something is going to happen, anyway is still alive the SO they made?

Comment

Well, at least we get a new upgrade of Sailfish OS in the pipeline (next upgrade is currently in early access phase, and will get deployed wider once early access confirms no last minute quirks).
      At least that's only software and they don't rely on some group of chinese manufacturer who ended up being fed up with waiting that Jolla solves their financial problem, then diceded to drop the ball on Jolla liquidating their stock and moving to whatever is the latest profitable gizmo du jour (hoverboards, spherical robots, whatever).

Comment

Way to go Jolla, you took a good idea and a good OS and messed it up. It's ironic that most people were former Nokia employees, now they failed the second time.
        Seriously now, why not just work on your damn OS and make a revenue from the store or something, I dunno. There were plenty of similar Chinese tablets out there, just port Sailfish to one of them and you're done.
        And that phone of theirs too, I was all excited that it was going to be something special only for it to fizz and turn into a smart back cover for a phone with poor specs even at launch time.

I'm really sorry, I was looking forward to a GNU Linux OS to rival with Android and based on Qt, C++ and native stuff..... I think it could have worked but IMO Jolla f***ed it up.

Comment

Sucks that they can't deliver the tablets because I was personally genuinely interested in getting one. However they did have a more than reasonable explanation as to why they can't make any more now that they have their financing in better shape (essential components going out of production) and why they weren't able to keep the schedule in the first place (suppliers not being able to deliver components, contractors not being able to produce what they had promised and then not being able to pay the bills). Out of several factors that caused this mess only one was something they themselves screwed up on, the rest were suppliers and subcontractors being able to hold their end of the bargain.

Genuinely tempted to find someone in China to buy one of the ones being sold on Taobao for me, ship it to me and try to replace the Android install with Sailfish.

Comment

Originally posted by mcirsta View Post
            Way to go Jolla, you took a good idea and a good OS and messed it up. It's ironic that most people were former Nokia employees, now they failed the second time.
            Seriously now, why not just work on your damn OS and make a revenue from the store or something, I dunno. There were plenty of similar Chinese tablets out there, just port Sailfish to one of them and you're done.
            And that phone of theirs too, I was all excited that it was going to be something special only for it to fizz and turn into a smart back cover for a phone with poor specs even at launch time.

I'm really sorry, I was looking forward to a GNU Linux OS to rival with Android and based on Qt, C++ and native stuff..... I think it could have worked but IMO Jolla f***ed it up.

ubuntu touch uses qt and c++ and it's not a android a clone

Comment

This is a genuinely difficult market to get into, especially if you start off with an unknown OS that doesn't offer any tangible benefits (and I'm not talking about a few nerds who "GNU!!!!!!!!!"). The reality is that any *normal* person who somehow randomly managed to hear about that thing, would have looked at it for 5 seconds, said "that's not Android", and moved on. Even RIM had to throw in the towel on that -- look where they are now. Android started at nothing back in 2008, but made it because Google is FREAKING ENORMOUS. And you know what? Its a good thing they did, because without Android, there would still be apple, probably a bit bigger than they are now, maybe 20%, and there also would be rim and ms, with ***actual relevance*** probably 50% rim, 30% ms, which is a terrifying concept.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
                ubuntu touch uses qt and c++ and it's not a android a clone
                I didn't think that it could even make a phone call....?

Comment

Originally posted by mcirsta View Post

The OS works fine(ish) -or not- depending on your use case. Jolla fucked up the HW part. They went the cheap way with the phone (and overpriced it to support the OS) and the tablet was a failure.
                  However you can have the OS on Fairphone which has modern spec, wait for what are they going to present in Barcelona or get any other of the phones it was ported. You'll miss android support but if you need android buy an android phone.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                    I didn't think that it could even make a phone call....?
                    Weird. I could've sworn I've been using a BQ 4.5 Ubuntu phone as my only mobile for the past 6 months...
                    Is this one of those quantum screw-ups or what?

Comment

Working...
                    X