Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Acer's Latest Chromebook Should Be Quite Powerful & Attractive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Acer's Latest Chromebook Should Be Quite Powerful & Attractive

    Phoronix: Acer's Latest Chromebook Should Be Quite Powerful & Attractive

    Acer has introduced its newest Chromebook today and it's powered by the mighty powerful Tegra K1 SoC...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc2MDM

  • #2
    So the 64bit arm SOCs start to roll out. Excellent. The fun question now is: what's the state/status of the gpu drivers, compatibility of nouveau, etc.?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by bnolsen View Post
      So the 64bit arm SOCs start to roll out. Excellent. The fun question now is: what's the state/status of the gpu drivers, compatibility of nouveau, etc.?
      Nope, I think this is the worse of the two Tegra K-1 chips. It's a quad core A15
      It seems really stupid that Nvidia is calling both the A15, and their 64-bit SoC have the same name.

      Comment


      • #4
        Would have immediately bought this to replace my c720 but the arm processor killed it for me.

        Comment


        • #5
          Why?

          Originally posted by peppercats View Post
          Would have immediately bought this to replace my c720 but the arm processor killed it for me.
          Just curious ... why? The quad core A15's have been shown to trade blows with lower-power i3's. And the Kepler graphics are generally better than anything you'd see on other Chromebooks.

          I run Ubuntu 14.04 on my Jetson TK1, and it's blazingly fast - faster on most tasks than my 2.7Ghz i7 laptop! - and certainly a lot cooler and efficient. There are only a few areas where x86 compatibility is a hassle (Flash, primarily, some DRM). Chrome OS solves these issues.

          Comment


          • #6
            So the question becomes:

            what wifi vendor provides the wireless nic? Its AC, so it is probably broadcom, which means its a garbage pos under non-Google Linux. I'd want to know if it is an accessible mini pcie slot so I could replace it.

            Also looks like no sd card slot, which is retarded, but par for the course.

            At least there is a 32GB model. My Arch /usr takes up 13.3GB right now on my main desktop, so that would be cutting it close. But then paying $80 for 16GB because Acer is a fuck that won't make the storage replaceable is insane.

            Why the hell is nobody making a low cost ARM Ubuntu notebook like this? Just include an sd card slot (an internal 2.5" or msata drive bay would be glorious but unlikely), 64 or 128GB of flash instead of the paltry 16 or 32 chromebooks have, the same 1080p panels, for $400? I'd be all over that like butter on toast.

            Also, when K1 runs under Nouveau then I'll fathom buying an Nvidia product again. Otherwise fuck em.
            Last edited by zanny; 08-11-2014, 03:09 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by deppman View Post
              Just curious ... why? The quad core A15's have been shown to trade blows with lower-power i3's. And the Kepler graphics are generally better than anything you'd see on other Chromebooks.

              I run Ubuntu 14.04 on my Jetson TK1, and it's blazingly fast - faster on most tasks than my 2.7Ghz i7 laptop! - and certainly a lot cooler and efficient. There are only a few areas where x86 compatibility is a hassle (Flash, primarily, some DRM). Chrome OS solves these issues.
              not worth dealing with the headaches of using arm

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by zanny View Post
                So the question becomes:

                what wifi vendor provides the wireless nic? Its AC, so it is probably broadcom, which means its a garbage pos under non-Google Linux. I'd want to know if it is an accessible mini pcie slot so I could replace it.

                Also looks like no sd card slot, which is retarded, but par for the course.

                At least there is a 32GB model. My Arch /usr takes up 13.3GB right now on my main desktop, so that would be cutting it close. But then paying $80 for 16GB because Acer is a fuck that won't make the storage replaceable is insane.

                Why the hell is nobody making a low cost ARM Ubuntu notebook like this? Just include an sd card slot (an internal 2.5" or msata drive bay would be glorious but unlikely), 64 or 128GB of flash instead of the paltry 16 or 32 chromebooks have, the same 1080p panels, for $400? I'd be all over that like butter on toast.

                Also, when K1 runs under Nouveau then I'll fathom buying an Nvidia product again. Otherwise fuck em.
                it has an SD card slot, and where did you read the storage isn't replaceable?

                also, according to this http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag..._preview&num=1 the i3 330m smashes the tegra k1, and the i3 330m/2955u are pretty equal.
                Last edited by peppercats; 08-11-2014, 03:46 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                  it has an SD card slot, and where did you read the storage isn't replaceable?

                  also, according to this http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag..._preview&num=1 the i3 330m smashes the tegra k1, and the i3 330m/2955u are pretty equal.
                  What benchmarks are you looking at? It doesn't smash the i3. In fact, it loses on EVERY benchmark to the i3. And that's the heatsink/fan cooled K1, not a passively cooled K1.
                  It does beat the Atom chips in the benchmark, but it's nowhere near an i3.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
                    What benchmarks are you looking at? It doesn't smash the i3. In fact, it loses on EVERY benchmark to the i3. And that's the heatsink/fan cooled K1, not a passively cooled K1.
                    It does beat the Atom chips in the benchmark, but it's nowhere near an i3.
                    I said the i3 smashes the K1, and the 2955u(which is in the c720) is similar to the i3 330m.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                      not worth dealing with the headaches of using arm
                      I actually have to agree. I'll have to wait and see if ARM can get their JavaScript performance up to part with Intel's offerings at the same performance per Watt. Right now, x86 consumes more (not a lot more) but still more power when not really doing anything. That being said, when it has to do something, it consumes less power and gets it done quicker than ARM. Maybe ARM will one day overcome x86 and we'll all have to use some sort of compatibility layer for the older x86 programs. In the meantime, I'll stick with my x86.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
                        What benchmarks are you looking at? It doesn't smash the i3. In fact, it loses on EVERY benchmark to the i3. And that's the heatsink/fan cooled K1, not a passively cooled K1.
                        It does beat the Atom chips in the benchmark, but it's nowhere near an i3.
                        Is there performance difference if it is cooled with Y or Z

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                          Is there performance difference if it is cooled with Y or Z
                          I assume he's referring to overheating which can cause throttling.

                          Man, I wish this was x86. I'd love a nice 13" 1080p netbook.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            "those with extra time on their hands"

                            Come on Michael, Phoronix wouldn't exist without those people, show some respect :P

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by curaga View Post
                              "those with extra time on their hands"

                              Come on Michael, Phoronix wouldn't exist without those people, show some respect :P
                              LOL! My hat off to you, thank you for the laugh!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X