Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 3.16 Will Detect If Your Dell Latitude Is Falling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by caligula View Post
    Ok then. I thought people just buy 1024 GB full SSD if they need the space.
    For what? Databases and images of VM are good example of data you want to store on HDD... And also SSD is still not good medium for backup.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by pali View Post
      Michael, sensors are really ST acceleromenters, but on Dell laptops, it is not possible to use them for other purposes. It is because ACPI export only one IRQ which detect hdd freefall. Accelerometer is 3 axes but there is no way (on MS Windows too!) to read status of axes. So for anything else as hdd freefall is driver useless.
      You mean only for the Dell ones, right? Because for the HP one I can read all the data just fine.
      "ST LIS3LV02DL Accelerometer (/dev/input/js0)"
      3 axes, but really I don't think there's much use to it other than the fall detection. You're not going to pick up a laptop and move it around and stuff like that...

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by pali View Post
        For what? Databases and images of VM are good example of data you want to store on HDD... And also SSD is still not good medium for backup.
        Hmm... I've had lots of spinning magnets fail, but never yet an SSD.
        Or are you talking about price per megabyte?

        Who does backups *to* a laptop anyway?

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by MWisBest View Post
          You mean only for the Dell ones, right?
          Yes, I mean Dell laptops with this SMO driver.

          Originally posted by MWisBest View Post
          Because for the HP one I can read all the data just fine.
          "ST LIS3LV02DL Accelerometer (/dev/input/js0)"
          3 axes, but really I don't think there's much use to it other than the fall detection. You're not going to pick up a laptop and move it around and stuff like that...
          I used to play with friends Extreme Tux Racer (joystick/ST LIS3LV controls) in a train with HP laptop in hands :-)

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
            Hmm... I've had lots of spinning magnets fail, but never yet an SSD.
            Or are you talking about price per megabyte?

            Who does backups *to* a laptop anyway?
            SSDs have limit for erasing one nand erase block. And applications which doing lot of rewrites could cause FW problems with wear leveling... And we still do not understand how and what SSD FW doing, so SSD is still not good choice for data storage. Just my point of view.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
              These freefall sensors, are they seperate chips, or part of the GPS compassy integrated unit (I forget the name of that compass the planes used) like in phones or what?
              Gyrocompass; didn't need google either =P
              WEEEEEEEE!

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                Hmm... I've had lots of spinning magnets fail, but never yet an SSD.
                Or are you talking about price per megabyte?

                Who does backups *to* a laptop anyway?
                Good question.

                I used to do support for GP's (General Practitioners), and one very cheap and practical backup process I implemented was to backup the essential databases to some of the GP's laptops so they had access to at least some data at home or the hospital in the event internet access failed. And it was free offsite archiving.

                Considering the data was mostly low-level secrity stuff, no one was fussed to much about simply passworded zip's.
                WEEEEEEEE!

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by lethal View Post
                  Does it display a popup or such saying the laptop is falling ?
                  I lol'd for days.. Who is going to be able to read a pop-up on the laptop while it is free-falling?.. Unless you are also falling with it at the same time...in which case, your laptop's hard-drive is probably the least of your concerns..

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    I retrofitted my Dell E7440 with a 1TB drive (WD blue slim, the only thing that would fit), so this would be useful, I don't need to worry about the primary SSD mSATA drive of course.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by Baconmon View Post
                      I lol'd for days.. Who is going to be able to read a pop-up on the laptop while it is free-falling?.. Unless you are also falling with it at the same time...in which case, your laptop's hard-drive is probably the least of your concerns..
                      Would be annoying for astronauts.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X