Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Android-x86 4.4 RC2 Released

Phoronix: Android-x86 4.4 RC2 Released

The 4.4 "KitKat" release of Android for x86 platforms is nearly ready for the public!..

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY5NTk

It boots never on one of my machines.

Comment

Tested with virtualbox... runs crappy on my hardware.
      Much more usable when booted natively.
      I still haven't found a good way to use WhatsApp on my linux

Comment

I don't see the point to use a mobile oriented OS under a desktop machine.

Comment

Random lockups with my apu a8 5600k, I can-t block the automatic rotation, is a shame Dx

Comment

Originally posted by DebianLinuxero View Post
            How about because of the following two mutually exclusive reasons;
            1) Its no longer specifically mobile-oriented. What it is, is TOUCH oriented, and TOUCH is not a feature exclusive to mobile hardware.
            ... not that Android doesn't work excellently with a mouse and keyboard.
            2) There is lots of mobile x86 hardware, such as almost 100% of every laptop ever made.

Android is also an excellent platform for HTPC's (which are anything BUT mobile), including custom x86 HTPC's. Throw a wii-mote and an RF keyboard on a TV-box and you get a pretty good experience.

Comment

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
              Random lockups with my apu a8 5600k, I can-t block the automatic rotation, is a shame Dx
              The single person who does android x86 is apparently too cheap to buy a used AMD box.

Comment

"has the backing of Intel"

No it doesn't.
                Intel's android stuff is *ENTIRELY* separate, and in fact, totally INCOMPATIBLE with generic x86 hardware.

Comment

I see the point to running Android apps alongside regular Linux apps.
                  (even if the apps are in a VM)

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                    "has the backing of Intel"

No it doesn't.
                    Intel's android stuff is *ENTIRELY* separate, and in fact, totally INCOMPATIBLE with generic x86 hardware.

Correct that android-x86 does not have the backing of Intel. Incorrect that Intel's android is incompatible with generic x86 hardware. Please refer to https://01.org/android-ia/. Our latest release has Kitkat support on standard Haswell and Baytrail hardware.

Comment

Working...
                    X