Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 3.15 Picks Up New Notebook Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Linux 3.15 Picks Up New Notebook Support

    Phoronix: Linux 3.15 Picks Up New Notebook Support

    The x86 platform driver update was pulled today for the Linux 3.15 kernel, which includes new notebook support...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY2MDU

  • #2
    I always hear how a lot of devs use Thinkpads. Where can you get them without the MS tax? I have to assume Lenovo is contributing something to the kernel / coreboot since their hardware is sometimes supported before launch.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by zanny View Post
      I always hear how a lot of devs use Thinkpads. Where can you get them without the MS tax? I have to assume Lenovo is contributing something to the kernel / coreboot since their hardware is sometimes supported before launch.
      Without the MS Tax? Ebay...? Frankly the new T440s is amazingly well priced for what you get, MS tax or not..

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Ericg View Post
        Without the MS Tax? Ebay...? Frankly the new T440s is amazingly well priced for what you get, MS tax or not..
        That thing is gorgeous and I was looking at it last year, but honestly I'd suffer a Galago Ultrapro's less stellar build and keyboard for Iris Pro and not giving Microsoft money.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by zanny View Post
          That thing is gorgeous and I was looking at it last year, but honestly I'd suffer a Galago Ultrapro's less stellar build and keyboard for Iris Pro and not giving Microsoft money.
          Hey, to each their own. What sold me on the T440s was the keyboard, dual-batteries and MILSPEC

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            Without the MS Tax? Ebay...? Frankly the new T440s is amazingly well priced for what you get, MS tax or not..
            You can even find T430's on ebay for cheap. I for one have a Lenovo SL510 that's a pretty decent performer and all the hardware worked out of the box from he get go.


            Can't go wrong with Lenovo.

            Comment


            • #7
              No MS tax in Lithuania

              I always hear how a lot of devs use Thinkpads. Where can you get them without the MS tax? I have to assume Lenovo is contributing something to the kernel / coreboot since their hardware is sometimes supported before launch.
              In Lithuania you can buy any computer from any shop without MS. It's declared by law, that vendors have to provide you with optional OS. Most people don't know that and just buy it with windows as it's mostly preinstalled, but if you demand computer with Linux or without any OS at all - you get it and the MS tax drops from the price.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                Can't go wrong with Lenovo.
                You can go wrong with any brand.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ežiukas View Post
                  In Lithuania you can buy any computer from any shop without MS. It's declared by law, that vendors have to provide you with optional OS. Most people don't know that and just buy it with windows as it's mostly preinstalled, but if you demand computer with Linux or without any OS at all - you get it and the MS tax drops from the price.
                  You used to be able to get acer to do a wipe and refund the mstax here (canada), I don't know if they still do.
                  Frankly, it should law EVERYWHERE, that computers ship without ANY operating system, and be fully compatible with whatever YOU CHOOSE.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                    You used to be able to get acer to do a wipe and refund the mstax here (canada), I don't know if they still do.
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundlin..._refund_policy

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                      You used to be able to get acer to do a wipe and refund the mstax here (canada), I don't know if they still do.
                      Frankly, it should law EVERYWHERE, that computers ship without ANY operating system, and be fully compatible with whatever YOU CHOOSE.
                      This is definitely infeasible. Especially when you take a formal definition of a computer, in which case your microwave, fridge, pool filtration system, etc would all need to come without any software installed.

                      Honestly, I think it would be great, but the average consumer just doesn't care right now. We'd need them to give a damn about all their computers being proprietary black boxes first.

                      Also, how would you qualify "compatibility"? That you can write to the ROM via serial port? That it supports ACPI? (meaning any foss firmware that doesn't use it, even if it is fully open and moddable, wouldn't qualify). Would a hardware vendor need to produce a FOSS driver for OS/2, BeOS, and ReactOS?

                      I'm fine with buying a computer built to run Linux. If Lenovo, or Acer, or MSI, or Dell don't want to produce machines they advertise and warranty with Linux, then they don't need my business. Yeah, I "compromise" by buying a System76 machine over a Lenovo one in some ways, but I also am compromising a lot not getting a Macbook, but you don't decry Apple (usually) for how hard it is to get Linux working on their hardware. The only issue I'd take with Apple is how their customers are ignorant and don't understand how Apple takes their software and hardware freedoms away for their benefit with the devices they buy. It is a cost few of them ever consider.
                      Last edited by zanny; 04-11-2014, 07:03 PM.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X