Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASUS Zenbook UX301LA: A Nice Intel Ultrabook For Linux Users

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ASUS Zenbook UX301LA: A Nice Intel Ultrabook For Linux Users

    Phoronix: ASUS Zenbook UX301LA: A Nice Intel Ultrabook For Linux Users

    As I wrote about at the beginning of March, I bought the ASUS Zenbook UX301LA-DH71T Haswell-based ultrabook to replace an Apple Retina MacBook Pro as my main system. I've been using this latest Zenbook with Intel Iris Graphics and dual SSDs for several weeks now as my main system and have taken it on four business trips so far and it's been running great. Paired with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, the ASUS Zenbook UX301LA makes a rather nice lightweight yet powerful Linux system.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=20089

  • #2
    Can you show pictures of the SSDs?

    Past Zenbooks have used some proprietary SSD, I am hoping they solved that problem.

    Comment


    • #3
      Zenbooks are really awesome, as long as you check hardware compatibility before installing Linux on them.

      I have one at work and one at home, and they are light, quiet, reliable, and look great.

      Comment


      • #4
        How does it compare to the 13 inch rMBP? I've been eyeing both, but the rMBP seems to be a bit cheaper, has a 16:10 screen and is much easier to find in the UK.

        Comment


        • #5
          Another advantage of Asus for a Linux laptop is that they easily reimburse windows licence (at least in France, I think it's also possible for office one but I never had to do it) wich can have some impact on the final price. You don't need to send your computer back or this kind of thing.
          In euro, I had 42 back for a windows 8 home licence, it's a little more than 82 for a windows 8 pro licence.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Boudin View Post
            Another advantage of Asus for a Linux laptop is that they easily reimburse windows licence (at least in France, I think it's also possible for office one but I never had to do it) wich can have some impact on the final price. You don't need to send your computer back or this kind of thing.
            In euro, I had 42 back for a windows 8 home licence, it's a little more than 82 for a windows 8 pro licence.
            That's definitely something to think about. Is there an official channel for such requests, or did you just contact Asus support?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by erendorn View Post
              That's definitely something to think about. Is there an official channel for such requests, or did you just contact Asus support?
              In France there is a direct channel (an email adress), the technical support will give it to you if you ask them.
              After that they ask several informations (photo of the computer stickers, invoice, warranty card), and to fill a few forms than you send back by email.
              It takes between 2 weeks and one month to be reimbursed after that.

              Comment


              • #8
                (id didn't find how to edit my previous post, sorry for the double-post).

                The email adress for France (at least, i don't know if it's international) is : acf_coa at asus.com

                There's a time limit after the purchase for asking for a reimbursement I think (something like 3 month)

                I don't know if you can ask for it after you've accepted the Terms of Use of Windows (and connected your computer on Internet) either

                Comment


                • #9
                  @Michael -
                  The micro-HDMI port is also located close enough to one of the USB 3.0 ports that if using some micro-HDMI to HDMI adapters, the USB port next to it is blocked.
                  I've run into this problem with my HP ultrabook, which has a full HDMI port rather than micro-HDMI. For all of the full HDMI cables and adapters I've tried so far, the extra plastic on the side of the plug can simply be shaved off with a knife to allow room for access to the USB port (if you don't mind hacking up your cables and adapters - definitely not for those who are planning to return or exchange them to the store).

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I wish the peecee laptop makers would innovate and create their own designs, instead of their current fad: copy everything Apple does. This asus laptop is a blatent Macbook Air clone. Everything from the lightly recessed chiclet-style keyboard, to the metal outer skin, to the gently sloping wedge shape of the chassis. A casual stroll through Best Buy reveals every peecee manufacturer doing the same. It's difficult in fact, to find a consumer laptop that isn't a blatent rip-off of Apple's design.

                    Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of Apple (don't own a single product from them) but this homogenous everybody-copy-Apple styling of consumer laptops is lame and boring.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Boudin View Post
                      Another advantage of Asus for a Linux laptop is that they easily reimburse windows licence (at least in France, I think it's also possible for office one but I never had to do it) wich can have some impact on the final price. You don't need to send your computer back or this kind of thing.
                      In euro, I had 42€ back for a windows 8 home licence, it's a little more than 82 € for a windows 8 pro licence.
                      Is this also applicable to other European countries? I was going to buy a Lenovo laptop, but I found that they'd refuse to refund me the "Windows tax". Even if they only refund me just 1€, I just want to show them there's some demand for non-Windows machines.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                        ... this homogenous everybody-copy-Apple styling of consumer laptops is lame and boring.
                        As opposed to the almost universally ugly and blocky styling of business laptops? I've been quite happy with our higher-end business HPs and Dells over the years, but I sure wouldn't mind if they were nicer to look at. Not that aesthetics would have any appreciable effect on our choice of hardware in contrast to more relevent specs like price, build quality, support and warranty...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by newwen View Post
                          Is this also applicable to other European countries? I was going to buy a Lenovo laptop, but I found that they'd refuse to refund me the "Windows tax". Even if they only refund me just 1, I just want to show them there's some demand for non-Windows machines.
                          I do not know. You should contact Asus technical support or directly try to send an email at the adress I provided before. I don't know id they'll answer to a non-french message though. If you got no answer from both and you don't speak french, I could ask if you want.

                          I told wrong things in my previous posts, you have 14 days after purchase to ask for reimbursement and windows 8 pro is reimbursed 80.

                          If you want more informations about different policies concerning windows 8 licences, there's this french site (I didn't find one for other countries). As for Asus, everything here may only apply for France... :
                          http://bons-constructeurs-ordinateurs.info

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                            I wish the peecee laptop makers would innovate and create their own designs, instead of their current fad: copy everything Apple does. This asus laptop is a blatent Macbook Air clone. Everything from the lightly recessed chiclet-style keyboard, to the metal outer skin, to the gently sloping wedge shape of the chassis. A casual stroll through Best Buy reveals every peecee manufacturer doing the same. It's difficult in fact, to find a consumer laptop that isn't a blatent rip-off of Apple's design.

                            Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of Apple (don't own a single product from them) but this homogenous everybody-copy-Apple styling of consumer laptops is lame and boring.
                            Chiclet was first implemented (for a modern laptop) on a VAIO in 2004.
                            Metal skin just works better for thin laptops (skin part of the chassis)
                            Sloping wedge is like, obvious design. It makes things look thinner, with easier edges (easier to put in bags and all). That's like complaining about rounded phones, or cars.
                            Then they all have a screen, etc..

                            It's not really copy, just that customers all have the same expectations, and all manufacturers the same constraints.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                              I wish the peecee laptop makers would innovate and create their own designs, instead of their current fad: copy everything Apple does. This asus laptop is a blatent Macbook Air clone. Everything from the lightly recessed chiclet-style keyboard, to the metal outer skin, to the gently sloping wedge shape of the chassis. A casual stroll through Best Buy reveals every peecee manufacturer doing the same. It's difficult in fact, to find a consumer laptop that isn't a blatent rip-off of Apple's design.

                              Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of Apple (don't own a single product from them) but this homogenous everybody-copy-Apple styling of consumer laptops is lame and boring.
                              You could check out the Razor designs. They look a little Appley but that's just because they are thin. The keyboard and control design is unique.

                              Alienware laptops have a sort of unique look as well.

                              If you're going to say that you don't like the looks of those, well then it is no wonder every manufacturer is copying Apple.

                              I don't think that I've ever talked to anyone who didn't like the looks of an Apple iPad, Macbook or iMac. They just look awesome. Thin, metallic and glossy, they look like something that belongs in a sci-fi movie.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X