Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Now Runs Well On The MacBook Air, Beats OS X In Graphics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ubuntu Now Runs Well On The MacBook Air, Beats OS X In Graphics

    Phoronix: Ubuntu Now Runs Well On The MacBook Air, Beats OS X In Graphics

    While last year I wrote how running Ubuntu is messy on the 2013 MacBook Air, when trying out Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on the Intel Haswell-based MacBook Air with HD Graphics 5000, it's a very different story. Not only is Ubuntu Linux now running on the MacBook Air without show-stopping issues, but its OpenGL performance can even beat Mac OS X 10.9.2.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=20031

  • #2
    excellent news.

    Comment


    • #3
      As always, "brilliant niuz" Unless test will include at least 100 games, there is no test.

      Comment


      • #4
        i don't think you really need refit, as grub 2 manages EFI booting very well, only it needs some stupid manual operation at some point,
        see for example http://blind.guru/grub-efi-amd64-mba-upgrade.html

        Comment


        • #5
          Efi stub

          Originally posted by kapouer View Post
          i don't think you really need refit, as grub 2 manages EFI booting very well, only it needs some stupid manual operation at some point,
          see for example http://blind.guru/grub-efi-amd64-mba-upgrade.html
          EFI Stub in the Kernel is still _the_ way to go with Macs. The only problem is that it's not well-documented.

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm afraid this performance comes at the expense of reduced battery life.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by newwen View Post
              I'm afraid this performance comes at the expense of reduced battery life.
              Are you telling crapple especially slowed their drivers to get better battery life?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                Are you telling crapple especially slowed their drivers to get better battery life?
                He probably meant about new feature called 'Battery Boost' of nvidia drivers

                http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/17...g-battery-life

                But i think that is just ability to set max fps per game .

                Last edited by dungeon; 03-19-2014, 09:30 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by newwen View Post
                  I'm afraid this performance comes at the expense of reduced battery life.
                  Unless Mac OS is a lot dumber than we expect, or, if Michael ran all of the tests with the AC unplugged, then I highly doubt your statement is true. It isn't difficult to set up an OS to down-clock everything when running on batt and run at full speed when on AC.

                  I find it really hard to believe that Mac would always attempt to save battery life even when plugged in, though the test results are suspiciously bad.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    Unless Mac OS is a lot dumber than we expect, or, if Michael ran all of the tests with the AC unplugged, then I highly doubt your statement is true. It isn't difficult to set up an OS to down-clock everything when running on batt and run at full speed when on AC.

                    I find it really hard to believe that Mac would always attempt to save battery life even when plugged in, though the test results are suspiciously bad.
                    OSX always has way better battery life than windows or linux on the same machine - at least on apple's machines. I don't think they are just downclocking the hardware, i assume they are doing fancy stuff in, for example, the mobo driver and taking advantage of the fact that they can write drivers just for their own hardware rather than trying to get something generic which runs everywhere.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X