Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Now Runs Well On The MacBook Air, Beats OS X In Graphics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ubuntu Now Runs Well On The MacBook Air, Beats OS X In Graphics

    Phoronix: Ubuntu Now Runs Well On The MacBook Air, Beats OS X In Graphics

    While last year I wrote how running Ubuntu is messy on the 2013 MacBook Air, when trying out Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on the Intel Haswell-based MacBook Air with HD Graphics 5000, it's a very different story. Not only is Ubuntu Linux now running on the MacBook Air without show-stopping issues, but its OpenGL performance can even beat Mac OS X 10.9.2.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=20031

  • #2
    excellent news.

    Comment


    • #3
      As always, "brilliant niuz" Unless test will include at least 100 games, there is no test.

      Comment


      • #4
        i don't think you really need refit, as grub 2 manages EFI booting very well, only it needs some stupid manual operation at some point,
        see for example http://blind.guru/grub-efi-amd64-mba-upgrade.html

        Comment


        • #5
          Efi stub

          Originally posted by kapouer View Post
          i don't think you really need refit, as grub 2 manages EFI booting very well, only it needs some stupid manual operation at some point,
          see for example http://blind.guru/grub-efi-amd64-mba-upgrade.html
          EFI Stub in the Kernel is still _the_ way to go with Macs. The only problem is that it's not well-documented.

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm afraid this performance comes at the expense of reduced battery life.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by newwen View Post
              I'm afraid this performance comes at the expense of reduced battery life.
              Are you telling crapple especially slowed their drivers to get better battery life?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                Are you telling crapple especially slowed their drivers to get better battery life?
                He probably meant about new feature called 'Battery Boost' of nvidia drivers

                http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/17...g-battery-life

                But i think that is just ability to set max fps per game .

                Last edited by dungeon; 03-19-2014, 09:30 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by newwen View Post
                  I'm afraid this performance comes at the expense of reduced battery life.
                  Unless Mac OS is a lot dumber than we expect, or, if Michael ran all of the tests with the AC unplugged, then I highly doubt your statement is true. It isn't difficult to set up an OS to down-clock everything when running on batt and run at full speed when on AC.

                  I find it really hard to believe that Mac would always attempt to save battery life even when plugged in, though the test results are suspiciously bad.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    Unless Mac OS is a lot dumber than we expect, or, if Michael ran all of the tests with the AC unplugged, then I highly doubt your statement is true. It isn't difficult to set up an OS to down-clock everything when running on batt and run at full speed when on AC.

                    I find it really hard to believe that Mac would always attempt to save battery life even when plugged in, though the test results are suspiciously bad.
                    OSX always has way better battery life than windows or linux on the same machine - at least on apple's machines. I don't think they are just downclocking the hardware, i assume they are doing fancy stuff in, for example, the mobo driver and taking advantage of the fact that they can write drivers just for their own hardware rather than trying to get something generic which runs everywhere.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by newwen View Post
                      I'm afraid this performance comes at the expense of reduced battery life.
                      This says nothing until some real tests show this and by how much if true. But since gaming performance (albeit on the tested titles nobody plays) is often double what it is on the mac, I still bet performance per watt during gaming is better on linux.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Dear Phoronix,

                        OS X Engineers don't care about these benchmarks. They never have. Having OpenGL 4.1 and OpenCL 1.2 optimized throughout their entire OS is what they care about.

                        Linux can get its pants soiled about these meaningless benchmarks, while having crippled accelerated desktops raving about OpenGL 2.1 future compliance with OpenGL 3.1 in the near future all it wants.

                        One would think having a fully acceleratd DE whether GNOME or KDE, etc., at OpenGL 3.3, never mind 4.x would be a far greater goal than these pointless benchmarks.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          lol?

                          Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                          Dear Phoronix,

                          OS X Engineers don't care about these benchmarks. They never have. Having OpenGL 4.1 and OpenCL 1.2 optimized throughout their entire OS is what they care about.

                          Linux can get its pants soiled about these meaningless benchmarks, while having crippled accelerated desktops raving about OpenGL 2.1 future compliance with OpenGL 3.1 in the near future all it wants.

                          One would think having a fully acceleratd DE whether GNOME or KDE, etc., at OpenGL 3.3, never mind 4.x would be a far greater goal than these pointless benchmarks.
                          this article is what i expect, mac osx drivers are stable but have horrible performance in games.. opengl 4 is being out this year for intel, probaly 4.1.


                          pointless benchmarks? for gaming? what the point you have a better api if almost nothing runs opengl 4.xx and have this garbage fps? same hardware worst performance .. no more no less

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                            Unless Mac OS is a lot dumber than we expect, or, if Michael ran all of the tests with the AC unplugged, then I highly doubt your statement is true. It isn't difficult to set up an OS to down-clock everything when running on batt and run at full speed when on AC.
                            Mavericks, Apples latest version of Mac OS is very different in the way it conserves battery charge. Unless you do a lot of testing it would be hard to say how all of the new energy saving features impact battery life and by association graphical performance.

                            That being said Apple has never had tweaky high performance drivers for their GPUS. They are biased to correctness and accuracy in their drivers.
                            I find it really hard to believe that Mac would always attempt to save battery life even when plugged in, though the test results are suspiciously bad.
                            Without a system to play with I can't say for sure what is going on here. I fairly certain though that if you ran these systems side by side, that is a Mavericks machine and a Ubuntu machine, that the machine running Mavericks would last much longer. Let's face it Linux isn't a low power platform yet.

                            Honestly it would be interesting to see if Michael could run a few tests to confirm my theory. Maybe run his benchmarking program until the battery dies a few times.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                              OSX always has way better battery life than windows or linux on the same machine - at least on apple's machines. I don't think they are just downclocking the hardware, i assume they are doing fancy stuff in, for example, the mobo driver and taking advantage of the fact that they can write drivers just for their own hardware rather than trying to get something generic which runs everywhere.
                              To really give a good feel for what Mavericks can do for the user you would need a benchmark suite that effectively mimics a user doing normal user tasks.

                              As far as Linux and battery life that is always in flux as the OS and GUIs develop but I would have to say you are right, for Apples target audience Mavericks does way better battery life wise. Windows just plain sucks so no sense in bringing that up.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X