Jolla's Smartphone Launches Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by guido12 View Post
    Does the Sailfish OS have a terminal app and does it run a Bash shell? Does it also have the usual command line tools found on typical desktop Linux distros or can they be installed easily? I'd like to automate stuff using simple Bash scripts. Maybe run some via a cron job.

Also, is there a mechanism to detect events and run specfied scripts? I don't think polling for state changes would be good for battery life. For example, detect when it's inserted into a car dock (if it has one) then turn on Bluetooth and GPS. When it detects that it is connected to my specific car through Bluetooth (maybe using a MAC address or name) then open the music streaming app and set some volume levels. When the Bluetooth connection is closed then close the music app and restore the default volume levels. When undocked, turn off Bluetooth and GPS
    1.) well i haven't checked since i stop using them after systemd, verify their dev docs
    1.a) systemd handle automation and cron like operations too [check systemd site for more info]
    1.b) systemd interfaces are all available through C API[some] or Dbus API
    2.) well that is what systemd/udev/kernel do

Comment

In what level is it capable of running android apps?

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
        In what level is it capable of running android apps?
        It uses Myriad's Alien Dalvik to run applications at native speeds. It's essentially the Android runtime, but portable to a variety of devices- I think Jolla is actually the first phone to ship with it. Also, Android apps are used like any other app. The store they're getting these apps from may be separate from the native app store, but the intention is to give Android apps a first-class experience. I'm still unsure of whether you can simply load an .APK.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
          1.) well i haven't checked since i stop using them after systemd, verify their dev docs
          1.a) systemd handle automation and cron like operations too [check systemd site for more info]
          1.b) systemd interfaces are all available through C API[some] or Dbus API
          2.) well that is what systemd/udev/kernel do
          Thanks for the info!

Does anyone know where I can find a list of the command line tools available in the Sailfish OS? I'm sure it's pretty obvious that I'm not a Linux expert. I'd rather not have to compile the tools I want from source unless it's just make && make install .

As for systemd, I need to lookup how to trigger on relavant phone events and run Bash scripts. Time to Google a little bit to see how easy (for me) it is.

Comment

Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
            It uses Myriad's Alien Dalvik to run applications at native speeds. It's essentially the Android runtime, but portable to a variety of devices- I think Jolla is actually the first phone to ship with it. Also, Android apps are used like any other app. The store they're getting these apps from may be separate from the native app store, but the intention is to give Android apps a first-class experience. I'm still unsure of whether you can simply load an .APK.
            The only Android app I'd probably want to load would be the Google Maps/Navigation app. Since it's a Google Android core app, I think I'd have to unofficially install it. Maybe the included map/navigation app would be good enough.The only other apps I can't live without would be a robust web browser and an IMAP capable email client which already seem to be included/available.

The only other apps I use are S3Anywhere Pro, MX Player Pro and an SSH client. I've started using AWS-CLI (https://github.com/aws/aws-cli) on my notebook which will hopefully run on Sailfish OS and MPlayer or one of its forks will probably be better than MX Player. I'm assuming SSH is built-in.

Does Sailfish OS have built-in tethering capabilites (USB, WiFi and Bluetooth)? I assume tethering using Bluetooth 3.0+HS (24 Mbps transfer speed) isn't available assuming it actually uses less power than WiFi tethering.

Well, there are a lots of stuff I need to Google about Sailfish OS. I hope it meets my needs.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
              Did anyone else laugh when the one guy hung-up/ignored his mom's call?
              Yes

Comment

Sounds interesting, I like the design of the phone and I like the fact that it can run Android apps. I wonder about the software keyboard though. Does it have functionality similar to Swype found on Samsung devices, and in multiple languages? If not then it's a no go for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
                  I've ordered and payed for mine, but I'll have to wait at least 2-3 weeks before I get it delivered! I'm waaaaaiitiiiiiing!
                  Me too! Hoping it'll arrive sooner rather than later! :-)

Comment

Just release a flashable image for my GSM Galaxy Nexus already!

Comment

These should work with it.
                      http://www.mogaanywhere.com/
                      http://sensorcon.com/sensordrone/

Comment

First guy to upload an unboxing
                        http://youtu.be/VxvH_v37U04

Comment

Awesome, if a QWERTY slideout keyboard comes out as an Other Half attachment, I may get this phone. Even better if the attachment provides a second battery for the phone as well. I've read that the attachment has connections for I2C, power in and power out from possibly a battery inside the slideout keyboard.

Hoping to see how stable and usable the OS and phone is as a smartphone and all the things you can do with it that you can't or hard to do on Android. I still need to look up how easy it is to use systemd to run Bash scripts based on events though.

Comment

Originally posted by guido12 View Post
                            Does the Sailfish OS have a terminal app and does it run a Bash shell? Does it also have the usual command line tools found on typical desktop Linux distros or can they be installed easily? I'd like to automate stuff using simple Bash scripts. Maybe run some via a cron job.
                            Yes:

The only problem with it, that it's old bash. The old one is maintained for the sake of those Mer vendors who are afraid of GPLv3 (all the anti TiVoisation business and etc.), but Jolla ins't afraid, so I have no clue why the old Bash is preinstalled.
                            Last edited by shmerl; 11-27-2013, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                              Yes:

The only problem with it, that it's old bash. The old one is maintained for the sake of those Mer vendors who are afraid of GPLv3 (all the anti TiVoisation business and etc.), but Jolla ins't afraid, so I have no clue why the old Bash is preinstalled.
                              That is one butt-ugly keyboard. Very poor layout.

Comment

Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
                                I'm still unsure of whether you can simply load an .APK.
                                Yes. For example, I wen't to f-droid.org and downloaded the client .apk and it installed fine. After that I could install stuff from f-droid. :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X