Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google "Slippy" Chromebook Supported By Coreboot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Google "Slippy" Chromebook Supported By Coreboot

    Phoronix: Google "Slippy" Chromebook Supported By Coreboot

    As of Saturday night the "Slippy" is the latest Google Chromebook to be supported by the open-source Coreboot firmware. As with supporting other Chromebooks, adding support for the codenamed Haswell mobile device added a great deal of new code...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUyNDU

  • #2
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Google "Slippy" Chromebook Supported By Coreboot

    As of Saturday night the "Slippy" is the latest Google Chromebook to be supported by the open-source Coreboot firmware. As with supporting other Chromebooks, adding support for the codenamed Haswell mobile device added a great deal of new code...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUyNDU
    Hopefully they will release a laptop that fixes the shortcomings of the pixel (storage, other oss booting etc.)

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
      Hopefully they will release a laptop that fixes the shortcomings of the pixel (storage, other oss booting etc.)
      Yeah I would really like to get a Chromebook that I could use to install Linux on thus avoiding paying for Windows but they continue to try to force people to use Google drive by limiting the storage space. Such a shame.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        Hopefully they will release a laptop that fixes the shortcomings of the pixel (storage, other oss booting etc.)
        Of course they won't do that. They want you to use chromeOS and other google services, so that you'll generate more data and revenue for them.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
          Hopefully they will release a laptop that fixes the shortcomings of the pixel (storage, other oss booting etc.)
          Do you mean that it’s not possible to install another OS on a ChromeBook?

          I too was thinking a ChromeBook could be a nice machine with a bigger HDD (or SDD) and Linux…

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by stqn View Post
            Do you mean that it’s not possible to install another OS on a ChromeBook?

            I too was thinking a ChromeBook could be a nice machine with a bigger HDD (or SDD) and Linux…
            No. It is possible to get it to run linux. I just want them to get rid of the dev mode stuff, waiting 30 seconds to boot and that shit.

            Apart from that 128/256GB SSD and 16GB or RAM would have mabe it the perfect laptop.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              No. It is possible to get it to run linux. I just want them to get rid of the dev mode stuff, waiting 30 seconds to boot and that shit.
              Ok, I found this page which explains it: http://www.howtogeek.com/162120/how-...-with-crouton/
              It makes sense but it’s also a very good reason not to buy ChromeBooks…

              Comment


              • #8
                The whining here is just amazing...

                Well, Dev-Mode is ChromeOS Dev-Mode - if you want more than that (and avoid the 30 seconds wait time in particular), you'll have to open the box and tweak a screw (which serves as a jumper). Once.
                Those 30 seconds (with scary splash screen) are part of the security model, the idea being that to open the box you'll need long enough, doing suspicious activity that you can't take over any ChromeOS device that's unsupervised for 5 minutes, while Dev Mode is the easy way for "light" modifications.

                There are plenty of boards that don't allow you to override the flashing procedure at all, except by directly attaching to the chip with expensive equipment. Google makes it feasible with their boxes, documents it (eg. Acer C720: http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/...720-chromebook see "write-protect screw") and you choose to - whine? Absolutely amazing.

                http://johnlewis.ie/pre-built-corebo...r-chromebooks/ describes the process in great detail. It's possible to get rid of the 5 seconds delay he encountered, but I don't have his models around to fix things - but that's not "evil Google", it's a bug.
                With some more effort, you can even get Windows to run natively on those boxes (I did).

                tl;dr: On a chromebook there's regular ChromeOS mode, Dev Mode and tinkerer mode (opening the box required once). Somehow people forget about the last one.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I would love to buy a chromebook/box providing it was decently powered with at least easily interchangeable storage. But sadly the whole focus of the Chrome OS is for those who need simply to browse the web and little else. Valve and the different steam machines should be decently powered and allow other operating systems to be installed. So they look a little more appealing.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by pgeorgi View Post
                    Well, Dev-Mode is ChromeOS Dev-Mode - if you want more than that (and avoid the 30 seconds wait time in particular), you'll have to open the box and tweak a screw (which serves as a jumper). Once.
                    Those 30 seconds (with scary splash screen) are part of the security model, the idea being that to open the box you'll need long enough, doing suspicious activity that you can't take over any ChromeOS device that's unsupervised for 5 minutes, while Dev Mode is the easy way for "light" modifications.

                    There are plenty of boards that don't allow you to override the flashing procedure at all, except by directly attaching to the chip with expensive equipment. Google makes it feasible with their boxes, documents it (eg. Acer C720: http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/...720-chromebook see "write-protect screw") and you choose to - whine? Absolutely amazing.

                    http://johnlewis.ie/pre-built-corebo...r-chromebooks/ describes the process in great detail. It's possible to get rid of the 5 seconds delay he encountered, but I don't have his models around to fix things - but that's not "evil Google", it's a bug.
                    With some more effort, you can even get Windows to run natively on those boxes (I did).

                    tl;dr: On a chromebook there's regular ChromeOS mode, Dev Mode and tinkerer mode (opening the box required once). Somehow people forget about the last one.
                    Does the pixel have a write protect screw??

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      This warning screen exists to alert you that a Chromebook is in developer mode and the normal security precautions don’t apply. For example, if you were using someone else’s Chromebook, you could normally log in with your Google account without fear. If it was in developer mode, it’s possible that software running in the background could be recording your keystrokes and monitoring your usage. That’s why Google makes it easy to tell if a Chromebook is in Developer Mode and doesn’t allow you to permanently disable this warning screen.
                      Oh my goggles, that's the most ridiculous bullshit I've ever read.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                        Does the pixel have a write protect screw??
                        There's a picture on http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/...romebook-pixel (https://a77db9aa-a-7b23c8ea-s-sites....ottom-guts.jpg)

                        The golden screw on the right. I once asked one of the ChromeOS-coreboot devs - I guess they forgot to add the information.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by dee. View Post
                          Oh my goggles, that's the most ridiculous bullshit I've ever read.
                          Why? They sell the systems with a claim of security. Once you can run whatever you want, they can, by definition, not vouch for what's going on.
                          Both the regular and dev-mode are appliance stuff (as is the Chromebook project in general), not general computing.

                          If you want to truly own the box (and not just modify it a little), and treat it as a real computer, there's the jumper or screw, while dev mode is not for you.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by pgeorgi View Post
                            Why? They sell the systems with a claim of security. Once you can run whatever you want, they can, by definition, not vouch for what's going on.
                            Both the regular and dev-mode are appliance stuff (as is the Chromebook project in general), not general computing.

                            If you want to truly own the box (and not just modify it a little), and treat it as a real computer, there's the jumper or screw, while dev mode is not for you.
                            Bullshit. They're selling a false sense of security, just like "secure boot".

                            If you use someone else's computer, you can't EVER be sure you can trust it, no matter whose logo is on the side. It just comes as a matter of trust, do you trust the owner of the computer? Trust isn't something that should be based on some corporation's goodwill, the whole idea of a single source of trust is flawed. The only way to really be sure you can trust the computer you use is if the only source of trust is you, the user.

                            For a very simple example: say you use your friend's chromebook, but it's already open and running. Are you meant to boot your friend's computer just to see that it's trustworthy? And since even this can be circumvented by doing that whole screw thing, how do you know your friend hasn't done this whole screw thing beforehand? This is just a paper wall of mock security...

                            And for that matter, you shouldn't hold anything of importance on any google accounts in the first place, because those things are not secure. The NSA has full access to all google services, as they have on any services that are based in the US. The fact that google pretends like their machines are "secure" just makes it worse.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by dee. View Post
                              Bullshit. They're selling a false sense of security, just like "secure boot".
                              It's about Google being able to vouch for the system. It might be a selling point to customers, or it might not.
                              Is it absolutely secure? No. If you're aiming for absolute security, build your own fab.
                              Hint: x86 based Chromebook come with Intel chips. Intel chips come with the Management Engine: full access to video, input devices, network and RAM, controlled by 1.5MB firmware (what is all that code doing? that's the _light_ version!) that can't be replaced by anyone but Intel (since it's signed by them).
                              I'm not all too interested in buying Google devices, but I certainly won't buy Intel.

                              Originally posted by dee. View Post
                              And for that matter, you shouldn't hold anything of importance on any google accounts in the first place, because those things are not secure. The NSA has full access to all google services, as they have on any services that are based in the US. The fact that google pretends like their machines are "secure" just makes it worse.
                              In which case you probably shouldn't buy Google...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X