Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tizen 3.0 To Go 64-Bit, Powered By Wayland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I don’t even know what Tizen is, but anyway…

    Originally posted by dee. View Post
    Tizen will have its own app store, and there's no reason why app developers wouldn't sell their apps in it.
    Selling one’s application in a new store requires a lot of time and work, unfortunately. So it makes sense to release only on the ones that provide the most financial benefits (sales).

    (Ok, looks like Tizen is a smartphone OS based on the comments here.)

    Comment


    • #17
      This marks the beginnings of....

      ... slow, protracted death of iOS and some real Android competition.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        Is anyone giving a fuck about Tizen anymore?? I mean we hear about it for ages and not a single product appeared on the market. (except a camera)
        how do you not get this?

        it will be sold by samsung with large high dpi screens, fast hardware, and attractive cases.

        it will have identical services and apps to samsung android phones, in fact it will look very similar.

        for tens of millions of people who desire a samsung galaxy or galaxy ace, or a galaxy note, the fact that it does not run android will be irrelevant!

        and samsung will be laughing.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
          how do you not get this?

          it will be sold by samsung with large high dpi screens, fast hardware, and attractive cases.

          it will have identical services and apps to samsung android phones, in fact it will look very similar.

          for tens of millions of people who desire a samsung galaxy or galaxy ace, or a galaxy note, the fact that it does not run android will be irrelevant!

          and samsung will be laughing.
          Until they deliver a phone its vaporware. [troll mode]Not a surprise. It run Enlightenment libraries [/troll mode]

          Seriously though. We 've been hearing about it for a long time and haven't delivered much. Jolla for example has made much more progress in delivering a non android linux based phone. And with a team that i believe that is less than the amount of people cleaning the offices in samsung's phone department.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
            for tens of millions of people who desire a samsung galaxy or galaxy ace, or a galaxy note, the fact that it does not run android will be irrelevant!
            It depends on the apps. It will always depend on apps support. A Samsung Galaxy is worthless if no apps run on it.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
              It depends on the apps. It will always depend on apps support. A Samsung Galaxy is worthless if no apps run on it.
              Tizen can run Android apps, so that point is moot.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by dee. View Post
                Tizen can run Android apps, so that point is moot.
                It wasn't a point against Tizen. I believe it will be successful. It was a point against "blablabla they won't care it is not running Android if they want $high_end_phone". That one is a lie, plain and simple. They will not care, if they have the apps they want to run anyway. If they don't, they will bitch about it not having Android.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by dee. View Post
                  Tizen can run Android apps, so that point is moot.
                  Thing is that 90% of the people who have purchased Android applications have done so through the Play Store, which Tizen will never have access to as it's Google's proprietary marketplace, and users won't want to buy apps again from either the Tizen marketplace or any of the other, less than satisfactory 3rd party Android markets
                  That throws out the possibility of migration to those who have paid apps essentially.
                  And Samsung hasn't been successful in its venture to replace Android starting with the Samsung App store. It's size and its usage is eclipsed by the Play Store, which isn't a great sign.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Tizen is dead. I think Samsung is repeating the exact mistake of Nokia, which is making an OS without giving it enough attention to at least launch a device loaded with that OS to see how commercially viable it is.

                    I think SailfishOS has a 1000x more chance of succeeding than Tizen.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by intellivision View Post
                      Thing is that 90% of the people who have purchased Android applications have done so through the Play Store, which Tizen will never have access to as it's Google's proprietary marketplace, and users won't want to buy apps again from either the Tizen marketplace or any of the other, less than satisfactory 3rd party Android markets
                      That throws out the possibility of migration to those who have paid apps essentially.
                      And Samsung hasn't been successful in its venture to replace Android starting with the Samsung App store. It's size and its usage is eclipsed by the Play Store, which isn't a great sign.
                      It's not exactly hard to get Google Play onto an AOSP ROM.

                      Granted, Tizen would have to be designed for third-party root access for users to be able to easily install Google Play on their own, but that's a non-issue, barely worth mentioning.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by hrkristian View Post
                        It's not exactly hard to get Google Play onto an AOSP ROM.

                        Granted, Tizen would have to be designed for third-party root access for users to be able to easily install Google Play on their own, but that's a non-issue, barely worth mentioning.
                        Tizen is not an AOSP ROM.
                        To go off the experience users have had in the past sideloading Android applications and the Play Store, at least in the case of BB10, they use a proprietary apk format, the OS doesn't provide the same API hooks as Android and it doesn't have or expose everything that would be in a stock Android system, including specific functions that the Play Store requires.
                        This may still mean that if you had the technical knowledge, you could install the Amazon Appstore or one of the many other smaller app stores depending on what they require, but few users use these to purchase applications in comparison to the Play Store, so access to that will be a deal breaker for many.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by intellivision View Post
                          Thing is that 90% of the people who have purchased Android applications have done so through the Play Store, which Tizen will never have access to as it's Google's proprietary marketplace, and users won't want to buy apps again from either the Tizen marketplace or any of the other, less than satisfactory 3rd party Android markets
                          "Android will never be succesful because it doesn't have Apple app store".

                          That throws out the possibility of migration to those who have paid apps essentially.
                          And Samsung hasn't been successful in its venture to replace Android starting with the Samsung App store. It's size and its usage is eclipsed by the Play Store, which isn't a great sign.
                          Developers will offer their apps in the Tizen store, why wouldn't they? The most popular apps are even now available on several app stores, even several platforms... Samsung is the biggest Android manufacturer, if they start offering Tizen phones, they can surely entice app developers to offer their apps for Tizen - after all, if they don't even have to do any actual porting, it's just free money for them.

                          Besides most regular people don't really care all that much as long as they can get Angry Birds and Facebook.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by dee. View Post
                            "Android will never be succesful because it doesn't have Apple app store".
                            Android became a sweeping success for reasons other than the number of apps e.g. runs on a wide range devices and architectures, good integration with Google's services, this is commonly accepted knowledge.
                            Tizen however doesn't offer anything new that you can't get from Android already.

                            Originally posted by dee. View Post
                            Developers will offer their apps in the Tizen store, why wouldn't they? The most popular apps are even now available on several app stores, even several platforms... Samsung is the biggest Android manufacturer, if they start offering Tizen phones, they can surely entice app developers to offer their apps for Tizen - after all, if they don't even have to do any actual porting, it's just free money for them.

                            Besides most regular people don't really care all that much as long as they can get Angry Birds and Facebook.
                            Simply because Samsung offers something doesn't mean that all people who buy from them will adopt it. The number of users of the Samsung App Store compared to the Play Store, or ChatOn compared to every other chat platform, helps to demonstrate this fact.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              What most people here don't see is that there will be two types of customers: The ones who buy a smartphone for the first time and the ones who replace their old one.

                              For the first categorie it's completely irrelevant that it's not android: They aren't used to it.

                              For the second one it will be a switch like from iOS to Android. Many did it before, what should prevent them from doing it again? Yes, the already purchased apps may be a problem, but that issue can be solved. App developers could give a serial number in the app already purchased (on Android) to re-activate the app in whatever app store Tizen uses, for example. Or samsung could offer a app that tracks the purchases into a cloud to reactivate them all at once. Maybe also some completely different solution. In the worst case none at all, but then it will still be like iOS -> Android, which (as already said) happened before.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by intellivision View Post
                                Android became a sweeping success for reasons other than the number of apps e.g. runs on a wide range devices and architectures, good integration with Google's services, this is commonly accepted knowledge.
                                Not everyone cares about good integrations with Google's services. Most people are probably happy as long as they can watch youtube vids and do google searches, and since both work via web anyway, that's not an issue.

                                Tizen however doesn't offer anything new that you can't get from Android already.
                                Depends how you look at it. More efficient use of limited resources, leading to potentially better battery life, is a definite benefit.

                                Simply because Samsung offers something doesn't mean that all people who buy from them will adopt it. The number of users of the Samsung App Store compared to the Play Store, or ChatOn compared to every other chat platform, helps to demonstrate this fact.
                                Lack of Play store didn't stop Amazon, why would it stop Samsung?

                                Besides, the same thing applies to Jolla and Firefox OS as well, neither of them have access to Google Play either. Google Play isn't the be-all-end-all of mobile phones.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X