The ASUS "Bay Trail" T100 Is Not Linux Friendly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
    Do you sell RAMs or something? Otherwise I fail to see the validity of such a post...
    I feed on it. My PC has 16GB of RAM and I'd be happy to have even more. Jokes aside, a desktop OS with less than 4GB of RAM is just not an option. Android runs just fine on 2GB of RAM though.

Comment

Depends on what you do with it. Always! My Chakra-KDE runs fine on my 2GB RAM laptop which I use for surfing, watching movies and casual gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        Linux on a touch device? Tell me more - it's not about RAM, it's about usability.
        I have a tablet, an Oak Trail. If not for its stupid proprietary screen implementation that prevents it from turning off, Linux would be much, much more usable than Windows. Xournal, for one, is much better than Windows Journal. And Linux in general works much faster than Windows on it.

Comment

F++k Intel for their crappy SoCs (AMD rules in that department)

F++k ASUS for their crappy hardware (and yeah that includes their MoBos).

...and f++k the usual suspect, micro$haft for the most s++tloaded O$.

Building our own machines is the only way to go...or buy machines with pre-installed Linux (yeah, i know...)

Comment

Try removing hard drive and installing to it on another machine

If you have other machines, this machine is said to come with a normal (removable) hard drive. If you wipe Windows from it on another machine, it can no longer boot Windows. If only a Linux distro is installed on disk it has to boot that or nothing.

I would assume just removiing the disk and powering on this would force a UEFI setup to bring up the UEFI options, certainly it is what I would try first if I could not stop the machine from attempting to boot Windows, which I would never activate nor permit to connect to a network. I would not consider buying anything that combines Windows 8 with a soldered-down disk, as it would have to be returned or discarded if I could not get it to boot anything else.

Some have managed to install on this machine without removing the disk by a method described in the link below, you need to use a 32 bit bootloader image for some reason:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2500078

"
            Ubuntu:

You need an EFI-compatible distro. For ubuntu, x64 EFI is enabled since 12.04-2. However, we'll need to include x86 EFI because our bootloader only reads x86 EFIs

13.04 x64 desktop- (Status: x-server crashes and dumps you to interactive shell)
            Used Rufus(GPT for UEFI + FAT + 64 kb+ raring x64 as bootable disk using ISO Image) to create bootable USB. Copied over

OK, the Xserver crashes with the Ubuntu raring based distro (predating this hardware) they used. That bug might be fixed by now, if not it should be fixable by the xorg team-or you could try a Wayland or Mir distro to bypass X entirely. Wonder if it is a lack of xvesa support in the video firmware, combined with a video driver issue?
            Last edited by Luke; 10-27-2013, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Is it possible to set up the bootloader with 32-bit components initially (it appears that's what works for now), then reboot in to a 64-bit install (whatever method fickles your tancy) using the bootloader options?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
                  Is it possible to set up the bootloader with 32-bit components initially (it appears that's what works for now), then reboot in to a 64-bit install (whatever method fickles your tancy) using the bootloader options?
                  if the UEFI on the device only looks at /efi/boot/bootia32.efi (based on it's behaviors, it looks like this is true), then you NEED a 32-bit (grub) bootloader for every OS... ubuntu x64 seems to be fine with me using a 32bit efi grub

it does complain in dmesg

[ 0.000000] efi: No EFI runtime due to 32/64-bit mismatch with kernel

Comment

Originally posted by paperwastage View Post
                    if the UEFI on the device only looks at /efi/boot/bootia32.efi (based on it's behaviors, it looks like this is true), then you NEED a 32-bit (grub) bootloader for every OS... ubuntu x64 seems to be fine with me using a 32bit efi grub

So it's a hardcoded UEFI set by Asus? Also, as an aside, are you confirming you can install a 32-bit bootloader system (GRUB etc) and have it then boot in to a 64-bit (hell, 16-bit DOS!) OS'ii? I've never actually bothered to try that.

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
                      So it's a hardcoded UEFI set by Asus? Also, as an aside, are you confirming you can install a 32-bit bootloader system (GRUB etc) and have it then boot in to a 64-bit (hell, 16-bit DOS!) OS'ii? I've never actually bothered to try that.
                      i'll try to find utilities to decompile the AMI UEFI/BIOS

I haven't actually installed any grub yet... been testing only live USBs at this point (ubuntu 13.04 boots to GUI if I remove the VESA_DRV.mod from x11)

there isn't much information about UEFI + 32-bit mode on the internet unfortunately... most people only about 64-bit mode

need to go to sleep now, playing around with this too much for the past 5 days

Comment

So the Asus T100 is using a 32bit UEFI?

From my understanding, most (all?) pc's use 64bit UEFI environments, with the exception of macintosh pc's.

http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/26734.html has a nice article on the situation.

There is no option to boot a MBR style bootloader with the Asus uefi?

Can the T100 run 64bit operating systems? (I thought it could, but they opted to use 32bit windows due to some driver only working on 32bit)

It comes with 32bit Windows 8, and from what I read there was no UEFI bootloader for 32bit windows 8... (Could be new in 8.1 I suppose).

Comment

Originally posted by conathan View Post
                          From my understanding, most (all?) pc's use 64bit UEFI environments, with the exception of macintosh pc's.
                          Nope. My Oak Trail tablet is 32-bit, and so uses a 32-bit UEFI as well.

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
                            Fire up a puppy
                            Puppy is overkill. I have the latest version of Sabayon KDE running on an old Centrino with 768 MB of RAM. Admittedly, KDE is lighter on resources than Unity (not sure how it compares to Gnome 3).
                            I also used to run Kubuntu on an Asus Transformer TF101. That worked pretty well too, although it did have quite a few driver issues due to the custom kernel (the TF101 was an early ARM (Tegra 2) tablet/netbook).

Comment

Originally posted by paperwastage View Post

This is really bad advice. Just run a 32bit OS with a 32bit bootloader; it might work to run a 64 bit OS on a 32bit UEFI, but you'll get all sorts of unexpected behavior because you're not supposed to be able to mix and match according to the UEFI spec.

Also, AFAIK Arch and Gentoo are the only two distros with support 32bit UEFI, and both require someone with linux experience to get them working.

Comment

I would not call the weekend a waste: It led to you being able to report the experiments you did. It means that with the T100 you’re currently in the experimental-science state (experiments which might work - or not) and not yet in the engineering state (experiments which might work out better or less well - but which are likely to always provide some direct benefit).

Thanks for doing these tests!

Comment

Working...
                                X