Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System76 Galago UltraPro Haswell Ultrabook

Phoronix: System76 Galago UltraPro Haswell Ultrabook

For the past month at Phoronix we have been busy benchmarking the System76 Galago UltraPro. This latest creation from the Linux-friendly System76 is an Intel Haswell ultrabook with Iris Pro graphics. Here's our look at this Linux-loaded ultrabook and the benchmarks we've run on this powerful yet lightweight system.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No backlit keyboard?

This seems to be a very good laptop, given the Haswell processors with Iris pro graphics and full HD screen and not to mention that it is a Linux laptop that works out-of-box. However the lack of backlit keyboard is disappointing for a high-end ultrabook. It appears to be a limitation of the Clevo model it's based on.

Michael, do you know if the keyboard problem is a design issue or a software one? Apart from this, how is the keyboard and touchpad in general? Both in terms of layout (if the special and arrow keys have comfortable location and spacing), feel and responsiveness? It baffles me that most laptops don't get these basics right, namely reliable keyboard and touchpad input, even in 2013 and instead go for fancy features like touchscreen which nobody asked for. I am willing to pay a premium if some manufacturers could get these things right. Obviously hinting at Macbooks which got most things right.

Comment

Too bad real-time power consumption can't be done (actually a deal breaker for me). So is regular battery life testing (battery life for a specific type of load) not normally done for reviews especially compared to a Windows installation?

Can the 128 MB eDRAM actually function as a regular L4 cache for the CPU or is it only used by the GPU? Not sure if the CPU benchmarks presented can actually show its effect if it really can be used as an L4 cache.

On a somewhat related to notebooks note, does anyone know of notebooks other than ThinkPads that can have their battery charge thresholds set? I know some Samsung and Sony notebooks have this option under Windows but I can't seem to find a way to do it in Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by hdas View Post
        This seems to be a very good laptop, given the Haswell processors with Iris pro graphics and full HD screen and not to mention that it is a Linux laptop that works out-of-box. However the lack of backlit keyboard is disappointing for a high-end ultrabook. It appears to be a limitation of the Clevo model it's based on.

Michael, do you know if the keyboard problem is a design issue or a software one? Apart from this, how is the keyboard and touchpad in general? Both in terms of layout (if the special and arrow keys have comfortable location and spacing), feel and responsiveness? It baffles me that most laptops don't get these basics right, namely reliable keyboard and touchpad input, even in 2013 and instead go for fancy features like touchscreen which nobody asked for. I am willing to pay a premium if some manufacturers could get these things right. Obviously hinting at Macbooks which got most things right.
        For me, any notebook should have backlit keyboard. And when it comes to keyboard and touchpad quality for use, I must say Lenovo G475 is the best I've tried! (At least the brazilian one). It would be perfect if it had backlit...

Comment

Did you test Ubuntu vs Manjaro? Please post resuts

Even with the problem thanks for installing Manjaro

Did you test it?

Please publish

Comment

Originally posted by hdas View Post

I think this laptop is the Schenker S413 / Clevo W740SU. Poor keyboard is a common conplaint of Clevo laptops.

Comment

Battery life

I would be interested in the tests of the battery life in some real-life scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
                I think this laptop is the Schenker S413 / Clevo W740SU. Poor keyboard is a common conplaint of Clevo laptops.
                That's too bad. There's an online shop in Germany that sells BTO laptops built from Clevo barebones, but a poor Keyboard is a deal breaker. Backlit option seems to present for most models though.

Comment

I bought it

I am the happy owner of this ultrabook. Feel free to ask me about it. I got mine from the latest batch that shipped after their last backorder, I got it just over two weeks ago and have not had any problems with the keyboard. It is not a good keyboard, the stroke is too short but after a few days I didnt even notice. I had the fan problem once when running the 13.10 beta, booted an older kernel - have since updated and have no more problems. HDMI audio didnt want to work but it seems to be ubuntu being finicky rather than a real issue.

Let me say again: No keystrokes are missed on my keyboard.

Maybe I am lucky but I have read from other users who have said their Galago from the recent batch isnt giving them any problems, one user theorized that it was a clevo problem that their resellers arnt allowed to talk about.

I get about 4 hours general use out of it. NOTE: cpu and gpu are throttled to 1.3Ghz and 200Mhz respectively on battery, just FYI its a BIOS thing.

I have not tried Manjaro as Im not quite ready to ditch Ubuntu, but both Manjaro and AntergOS look very good.

I ordered it with 16GBs of RAM and a 240GB Intel 525 mSATA SSD as well as Intel Centrino Wireless N.

One thing the review did not cover is that it also slots a 2.5" drive - My plan is to buy an intel ac wireless card and a Samsung 840 Evo 1TB down the line for upgrades.
                  Last edited by FaiT; 21 October 2013, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Anyone know about the 15.6" models? Keyboard also an issue?

Comment

Working...
                    X