System76 Galago UltraPro Haswell Ultrabook

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
    I've only read the Anandtech review, in particular look at p17 for OpenCL and p18 for generic CPU. Iris Pro beats the 4770k in OpenCL performance, sometimes doubling the performance, which is very good for a mobile part. For CPU see the graph with row Crystalwell Advantage - the estimated gain seems to be anywhere from -4.5 to 9.5 but he also says "Intel claims that with the right workload, you could see huge double digit gains". I haven't seen any benchmarks showing that, though, I'd be interested if there are any.
    Those tests don't seem to be very promising. I'm far from an expert on how CPU cache works and which tasks highly benefit from them but I wonder if someone more knowledgeable can test and/or specify what kinds of tasks would highly benefit (ie. highly utilized file server, compression, signal processing like FFTs, convolution and other mathematical operations, etc.) from a large L4 cache.

Comment

Originally posted by guido12 View Post
      Those tests don't seem to be very promising. I'm far from an expert on how CPU cache works and which tasks highly benefit from them but I wonder if someone more knowledgeable can test and/or specify what kinds of tasks would highly benefit (ie. highly utilized file server, compression, signal processing like FFTs, convolution and other mathematical operations, etc.) from a large L4 cache.
      Functionally it is much the same as having higher memory bandwidth with lower latency, so apps that will perform better are the ones that are currently memory bound. The GPU is the obvious winner since it is loading textures all the time, or streaming data for GPGPU apps. The extra bandwidth is more important to the GPU when you have combined CPU+GPU because it no longer has dedicated memory, and the memory it does have is DDR3 rather than the DDR5 you get on midrange graphics cards. On the CPU side, memory bound apps are things like media transcoders, though admittedly that's not a great example any more since it's now more efficient to do transcoding on the GPU. Apps that do compression and encryption can also be memory bound, depending on exactly what is happening - for some algorithms encryption will be CPU bound, but on CPUs which can do particular algorithms in hardware (eg. AES-NI for Intel) then it's might well be memory bound. There are some benchmarks of different memory modules here - as you see going from DDR3-1333 to DDR3-2133 results in negligible gains for many tasks, the only big winner there is WinRAR (+25%), media coding is only +5% which is a surprise. At the end of the day it's difficult to predict which particular apps will benefit, that's why you have to benchmark.

Comment

Just found a huge thread covering this laptop here. The extreme keyboard problems (missing key presses etc) sound like it may have just been a bad initial batch.

Comment

VT-D?

Does anyone know if the ultrapro supports VT-D?

I guess the CPU and chipset both support it, but the bios doesn't have the option I guess (I don't own this laptop yet). I opened the latest CLEVO W740SU bios file (since the galago ultrapro is a branded W740SU) with AMIBCP and under the menu option of "VT-D" it said enabled under "Optimal", not entirely sure if that is definitive. Yet after asking System76, they said it didn't support it, though I'm not sure if their answer is entirely correct because they said it doesn't have an iommu... So I've been looking around online getting mixed answers everywhere yet no answers from anyone who owns one. So, help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X