Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Edge At $11M With Less Than Three Days Left

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by akincer View Post
    *If* a big company / wealth investor does buy a bunch of phones, you'll have to ask them. I'm not saying they definitely will, merely pointing out the possibility. I'm not interested in having a material debate on why they would or wouldn't want to do so.
    There is also the possibility of world peace... ;-) One can point out quite a lot but there should be at least one obvious reason, why this isn't entirely unlikely.

    Comment


    • #32
      I've been reading a lot of comments various places that say something like "I know it won't make it so I'll pledge just to show support and be out no money." I really REALLY hope Shuttleworth trolls errybody and just pledges the other 20-ish million at the last minute.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by chris200x9 View Post
        I've been reading a lot of comments various places that say something like "I know it won't make it so I'll pledge just to show support and be out no money." I really REALLY hope Shuttleworth trolls errybody and just pledges the other 20-ish million at the last minute.
        That would look bad not only for Ubuntu Edge, but also for Canonical.

        Bad for Ubuntu Edge, because the whole point of this little campaign is to show that people are actually interested in owning such a device. Mark paying 2/3 just verifies a lack of interest from a wider audience. - It would be akin to a youtuber buying views for his channel, rather than earning them based on the quality of their content/channel.

        Likewise, Mark/Canonical not funding it directly, in the first place - it shows they don't really believe in the product to begin with. ie: if the Ubuntu Edge is going to be so amazing (and potentially successful), then they should have had a enough confidence to put up their own money at risk. (Like any other company / entrepreneur typically does). - But we know why they didn't do that; Canonical isn't a profitable company and many of their projects tend to be vaporware / headed for the trash. They would rather gamble their users money, since if the end product sux, it won't matter - they are out nothing.

        anyway, we will see, but it looks (to me) pretty unlikely this Ubuntu Edge campaign is going to work out...

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by ninez View Post
          That would look bad not only for Ubuntu Edge, but also for Canonical.

          Bad for Ubuntu Edge, because the whole point of this little campaign is to show that people are actually interested in owning such a device. Mark paying 2/3 just verifies a lack of interest from a wider audience. - It would be akin to a youtuber buying views for his channel, rather than earning them based on the quality of their content/channel.

          Likewise, Mark/Canonical not funding it directly, in the first place - it shows they don't really believe in the product to begin with. ie: if the Ubuntu Edge is going to be so amazing (and potentially successful), then they should have had a enough confidence to put up their own money at risk. (Like any other company / entrepreneur typically does). - But we know why they didn't do that; Canonical isn't a profitable company and many of their projects tend to be vaporware / headed for the trash. They would rather gamble their users money, since if the end product sux, it won't matter - they are out nothing.

          anyway, we will see, but it looks (to me) pretty unlikely this Ubuntu Edge campaign is going to work out...

          The Ubuntu Edge was mostly a Ad campaign if i remember some one was talking to Mark and thats what he tolded them (trying to find the Link)

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
            The Ubuntu Edge was mostly a Ad campaign if i remember some one was talking to Mark and thats what he tolded them (trying to find the Link)
            I've probably seen what you are talking about (and/or other interviews). It was not just an Ad campaign ~ but yes, that was one goal of it for sure, but certainly not the only goal...

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by ninez View Post
              I've probably seen what you are talking about (and/or other interviews). It was not just an Ad campaign ~ but yes, that was one goal of it for sure, but certainly not the only goal...
              and thats why i said mostly, from what he said it was 1st PR and, 2ed to make a Phone so Mark did not care at all if the Phone got made or not, but now they're getting there app's made for it

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                shuttleworth has never been known to lie
                ever
                I chuckled on the outside, but on the inside I remembered how much I want to punch that guy.

                **edit**

                actually i'd give him a hug as well as a punch; he has done more for the cause than against it...
                Last edited by quequotion; 08-19-2013, 03:21 PM. Reason: not that i'd ever actually punch someone over linux

                Comment


                • #38
                  1. This is a phone aimed at enthusiasts, geeks, developers, fans and open source software advocates. The price is too prohibitive for it to be marketed towards the average end user.

                  2. Ubuntu currently has about a third (30-40%) of the market share of desktop Linux home users.

                  3. If Canonical hadn't alienated the rest of the Linux community with their earlier bad decisions, this phone could have been popular within the entire desktop Linux community. Remember, that this is a phone aimed at enthusiasts, geeks etc. and therefore its demographic is very well aware of the politics and drama around the Linux community. Instead of gaining the support of the wider Linux-geek audience, Canonical has, by their earlier actions, limited their audience only to the Ubuntu fans, ie. those who stick to Ubuntu's side in the great division caused by Canonical's actions.

                  4. With a simple math equation, we can see that Canonical now only got 40% (giving a generous estimate) of the support they could have got for this phone, were it not for their earlier bad decisions. This means, that as they now got 11 million, they would have gotten 27.5 million instead. That still isn't quite enough to meet the 32M goal, but it would be much closer, and it would probably mean that more businesses would become interested and foot the rest of the bill.

                  5. Therefore, we can conclude: Mir + dash adware killed the Ubuntu Edge. Canonical only has themselves to blame.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                    and thats why i said mostly, from what he said it was 1st PR and, 2ed to make a Phone so Mark did not care at all if the Phone got made or not, but now they're getting there app's made for it
                    Theoretically there will one day be an Ubuntu phone even if the Edge doesn't make it into production.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by quequotion View Post
                      Theoretically there will one day be an Ubuntu phone even if the Edge doesn't make it into production.
                      And by then no one will want it because everyone will be too preoccupied by playing with their awesome new Sailfish phones...

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        I still hope that Fairphone will be fully compatible to either Ubuntu OS or even better Firefox OS. Then it will be almost clear, that this will be my first smartphone.

                        If there will be ever a fundraising campaign to bring full Ubuntu OS support to Fairphone, I will surely support it. As idea for a new fundraising campaign...

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                          and thats why i said mostly, from what he said it was 1st PR and, 2ed to make a Phone so Mark did not care at all if the Phone got made or not, but now they're getting there app's made for it
                          Weird, that doesn't correctly describe any of his interviews that are on youtube that i have seen, as of recent. For example, this interview; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HNFBHwcrFM

                          I don't think saying that it's "mostly an Ad campaign", best describes what he has intended with the project.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by ninez View Post
                            Weird, that doesn't correctly describe any of his interviews that are on youtube that i have seen, as of recent. For example, this interview; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HNFBHwcrFM

                            I don't think saying that it's "mostly an Ad campaign", best describes what he has intended with the project.
                            well i don't know what to really make of it

                            "Shuttleworth won't lose any sleep over it. He told CNet that "Tripling the crowdfunding record is always a super-ambitious goal." But, "It's also clear that this work is ancillary to the broader mission of bringing Ubuntu to the market."

                            http://www.zdnet.com/canonical-will-...on-7000019241/

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by ninez View Post
                              That would look bad not only for Ubuntu Edge, but also for Canonical.

                              Bad for Ubuntu Edge, because the whole point of this little campaign is to show that people are actually interested in owning such a device. Mark paying 2/3 just verifies a lack of interest from a wider audience. - It would be akin to a youtuber buying views for his channel, rather than earning them based on the quality of their content/channel.

                              Likewise, Mark/Canonical not funding it directly, in the first place - it shows they don't really believe in the product to begin with. ie: if the Ubuntu Edge is going to be so amazing (and potentially successful), then they should have had a enough confidence to put up their own money at risk. (Like any other company / entrepreneur typically does). - But we know why they didn't do that; Canonical isn't a profitable company and many of their projects tend to be vaporware / headed for the trash. They would rather gamble their users money, since if the end product sux, it won't matter - they are out nothing.

                              anyway, we will see, but it looks (to me) pretty unlikely this Ubuntu Edge campaign is going to work out...
                              I'm not saying it would be a good idea I'm just saying I'd like to see it. Pledging money you *don't* have just to show support is really stupid so I'd like to see the people who did that shit themselves when they're on the line for a few hundred or thousand.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by dee. View Post
                                And by then no one will want it because everyone will be too preoccupied by playing with their awesome new Sailfish phones...
                                True. I don't expect to ever see Ubuntu TVs catch on either. In it's quest for uniqueness over usuabilty, branding, and monetization, Canonical has undone itself.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X