Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Opens Up SHIELD Gaming Operating System

Phoronix: NVIDIA Opens Up SHIELD Gaming Operating System

The NVIDIA SHIELD portable gaming device/console was released at the end of July and now NVIDIA has come forward with the source-code to the whole operating system in hopes of encouraging enthusiasts to modify and improve the platform...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQzMTM

Does it mean that GPU drivers were opened too?

Comment

Originally posted by makson View Post
      Does it mean that GPU drivers were opened too?
      The people on this server. Give a man a fish, and he'll complain that you didn't give him a fishing boat.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
        The people on this server. Give a man a fish, and he'll complain that you didn't give him a fishing boat.
        I am not complaining, just asking.
        But if they did not release drivers, than what they actually released, as Android is open source anyway?

Comment

Give a man a fish, and he'll complain that you didn't give him a fishing boat.
          I think the better analogy would be that nVidia gave you (us) the bait.
          The NVIDIA SHIELD ... runs "100%" on Google's Android, so the code drop isn't exactly a huge surprise.
          This seems to be nothing more than publicity. But I emphasize "seems" as we may see something good. Someone that goes digging though it will soon tell us.

Comment

I wonder if this means that now it would be possible for a third party to add Linux support to the "PC game streaming" feature, or implement a similar feature that supports Linux?

Comment

Since when is a question (and in this case even a good one) a complain?

Comment

Is that a joke? To continue your analogy, I'd rather have a very very small fishing boat than a ton of fish.

i.e. bare OS, but free drivers, are better for me than closed drivers with opened OS frontend.

Comment

Hmmm, I wonder if there is exfat source code in there since it has a card slot.

Comment

Android again? No, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X