Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Vivaldi Tablet Finally Shipping For QA Testing

Phoronix: KDE Vivaldi Tablet Finally Shipping For QA Testing

KDE's Vivaldi tablet is finally starting to ship... but only for QA testing and the open-source tablets haven't yet received their certification...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Will buy one the moment they will be aveilable

Comment

If they really still plan to launch a tablet with 800x600 resolution... well good luck finding people who are into cheap, crappy hardware.
      Also, it's probably still a TN display with bad viewing angles.
      Last edited by anybody; 22 July 2013, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Considering The teams surrounding Kubuntu have gone into the 'cave' regarding innovation and supporting forward projects like Mir, I'm not surprised at the low specs on this tablet.

They haven't even upgraded since last year and a half. You're talking about a $60 kindergarten tablet when comparing the china electronic shows and what's on offer.

Then consider the prospect of PlasmaActive using Wayland it's got slim hopes of being ported to other devices any time soon.

I hope they wake up. I was once a big supporter of PlasmaActive btw.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
          ...forward projects like Mir...
          Troll alert...

Comment

Originally posted by Redi44 View Post
            Troll alert...
            So someone can't say it as it is without being classed as a troll. Btw I mean what I say.

Comment

Considering The teams surrounding Kubuntu have gone into the 'cave' regarding innovation and supporting forward projects like Mir,
              Right, because there is no way any project could possibly be innovative or forward looking without embracing Mir, and Kubuntu and KDE are completely synonymous.

Then consider the prospect of PlasmaActive using Wayland it's got slim hopes of being ported to other devices any time soon.
              Right, it's not like Plasma Active is already running on other devices (*cough*nexus 7*cough*), and its not like Canonical has been completely dependent on software for wayland for their device support.

I hope they wake up. I was once a big supporter of PlasmaActive btw.
              So rather than support a non-profit group that is able to develop, build, and ship a device on their own, you instead throw your support behind a for-profit company that nevertheless has to beg for money in order to even begin working on their hardware?
              Last edited by TheBlackCat; 22 July 2013, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                Right, because there is no way any project could possibly be innovative or forward looking without embracing Mir, and Kubuntu and KDE are completely synonymous.

Right, it's not like Plasma Active is already running on other devices (*cough*nexus 7*cough*), and its not like Canonical has been completely dependent on software for wayland for their device support.

So rather than support a non-profit group that is able to develop, build, and ship a device on their own, you instead throw your support behind a for-profit company that nevertheless has to beg for money in order to even begin working on their hardware?
                Plasma Active is a no go for being in the hands of anyone who isn't a KDE enthusiast. Aaron Seigo is basically making a tablet for himself and a few friends.

I don't understand that hate around kickstarter projects. Canonical has the capital to make this all on their own, but they are trying to create buzz by using IndieGogo. This kickstarter is just a special one-off thing anyways. They already have the deals for shipping other phones in may.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                  If you google, I was an early supporter of PlasmaActive on the Nexus7.

I come to the realisation it had little chance of getting successful as it was crippled by the ability to move to other devices easily. Mir solves this problem since it uses Android drivers, but Kubuntu teams have demonised Mir and have locked down to Wayland, therefore what hope is there. Some claim Wayland and the Sailfish project show promise of Android leanings, but no where near the vision of Canonical's Mir which is a fundamental to them to use Android drivers.

PlasmaActive is also a closed shop and the teams don't listen to criticism from users. The interface is lacking and slow to progress.

Anyway it's a matter of opinion. You can pass my comments by.

Comment

Originally posted by caryhartline View Post
                    Plasma Active is a no go for being in the hands of anyone who isn't a KDE enthusiast. Aaron Seigo is basically making a tablet for himself and a few friends.
                    How true is that!

Comment

Working...
                    X