Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Current State, Preview Of The Ubuntu Phone

Phoronix: The Current State, Preview Of The Ubuntu Phone

For those that haven't yet tried out the Ubuntu Phone first hand by loading it onto one of the supported devices, here's a video of the latest Ubuntu Phone version on the Galaxy Nexus smart-phone...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM4NTY

Awesome

I don't really like Ubuntu, but this is an instant get

Comment

This actually looks really good, I wonder how the performance is compared to android(? as far as I know it's a completely new OS for the phone and drops dalvik? haven't been paying attention)

Comment

not bad

really not bad. Mir is the display server already?

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
          really not bad. Mir is the display server already?
          Yes. (based on that I saw the phone version running on mir in a video over a month ago, i didn't check)

Comment

I like where they're going with the design. I can already see how there's multiple ways to do the same thing (which is something that I always appreciate in an interface). Also, it seems like the design is putting multi-tasking at the forefront, and yet screen space is not being wasted to accomplish this.

Comment

Seems over-engineered / too complicated for a phone.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                I don't know. It might be the sort of thing a poweruser would like? Na they'd just get one of these xD http://pwnieexpress.com/products/pwnphone

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post

You'll have to enlighten us how you came to that conclusion. Becuase I see words, but I don't think they can be used in this sitution without some 3-5 supporting arguements with evidence.

Comment

Nothing but an ugly orange skin on top of Android.

Comment

This is the first time in quite a while i am actually impressed with canonical. It will be a tough battle between jolla phone and ubuntu phone. This means also wayland vs mir on actual retail phones in the not so distant future

Comment

Navigation, Bluetooth, and commercial app support? Who needs a phone.

1- The number one thing I look for in a phone is a great navigation system. What good is a phone when you don't know where you are? Does anyone know if Google Navigate is or will be available?
                        2- Since I do not use or own windows, my android device often fills in that need where there is some commercial support for Android. For instance as an interface to my Contour camera, or to gain an RSA token for VPN.
                        3- Hows the bluetooth? The bluetooth interface to my helmet and car stereo for navigation, communication, and tunes is also a must have item.

All other things equal, I would prefer a platform like Ubuntu over Android any day. I am, and have been for many many years, a Debian Unstable/Experimental user.

Comment

Im still hanging on to my old simple phone. Just love the battery life, but its become time to get some maps in the pocket so it seems a smartphone is in order. And im pretty sure I wanna put ubuntu on it

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
                            This is the first time in quite a while i am actually impressed with canonical. It will be a tough battle between jolla phone and ubuntu phone. This means also wayland vs mir on actual retail phones in the not so distant future
                            Competition is good for both. We'll see progress faster.

Comment

I'm not really impressed with this interface.It looks to me that they are empowering window management to much but leaving to little to applications. For example,if someone tries to implement interface similar to zune or metro(whatever they call it) it would be difficult to maneuver. One wrong swipe and you are in unity dash or whatever they call it or in another application.This leaves to little room for applications to maneuver.This will become cumbersome in smaller form factors.I have old and small Galaxy 5 that I use for listening music and little bit browsing on the side.On this device screen is 2.6 inches which is a bitch.Having interface like uPhone OS would be disaster.There is a reason why Apple is keeping it lite and simple.Let the applications developers innovate not the other way around.

Comment

Working...
                              X