Canonical Plans For Usable Ubuntu Phone By Month's End

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by speculatrix View Post
    I am not sure why Ubuntu felt the need to reinvent everything, what with Tizen, Maemo (either the original GTK one or the QT one), firefox OS, jolla, we definitely didn't need yet another mobile OS.
    None of these are convergent, or a "full" linux distro. Meego came close, but Ubuntu is going for something much different than a standard "only does phone" mobile OS.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
      None of these are convergent, or a "full" linux distro. Meego came close, but Ubuntu is going for something much different than a standard "only does phone" mobile OS.
      what do you mean by a "full" distro? that only really makes sense if you're going to attach a larger screen and keyboard.

with a fairly bloated KDE desktop install being 8G+ you're going to need a significant amount of storage just for that. Add in a full complement of development tools, kernel source build, QT build environment, you're getting into 64GB territory - in a phone!

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        EDIT: The only possible way I can see how to count unique visitors is by requiring some kind of user interaction.
        Then, having got your unique-user-counting right, you've biased your results in favour of groups who bother to interact with surveying systems. That would probably be good for us Linuxites.

Comment

Originally posted by speculatrix View Post
          what do you mean by a "full" distro? that only really makes sense if you're going to attach a larger screen and keyboard.
          I am disgusted that I had to google this for you. Check 1/3 way down the page. If you need more info, google it. I'm not going to find it for you again.

http://www.ubuntu.com/phone/operators-and-oems

Comment

Working...
          X