Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Working On Android Based On Linux 3.8

Phoronix: Google Working On Android Based On Linux 3.8

Google recently opened up a public code repository that contains their experimental work to re-base Android off the recently released Linux 3.8 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice

Because now Nexus 7 with latest Android 4.2.2 still use old 3.1.10 kernel built on November 29, 2012.

I hope they already rebase it on more modern Java, because they still use Java 6 which is boring.
    Java 7 is much nicer.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Nice

Because now Nexus 7 with latest Android 4.2.2 still use old 3.1.10 kernel built on November 29, 2012.

I hope they already rebase it on more modern Java, because they still use Java 6 which is boring.
      Java 7 is much nicer.
      The fact that its 3.1 isn't really related to whether Androids kernel changes are mainlined. Those changes are easy enough to port to any modern kernel version. The real problem is NVIDIA and other ARM makers usually develop against one kernel version and don't update for a year or two.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Nice

Java 7 is much nicer.
        lol. you are always dissin' java 6.

i actually found all the new things they've been roping into java has made it a lot more convoluted and uglier. it's like they want to turn it into something unintuitive like PHP or C++.

jmo of course.

edit: before you know it they'll be adding "unsigned ints"

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post

i actually found all the new things they've been roping into java has made it a lot more convoluted and uglier. it's like they want to turn it into something unintuitive like PHP or C++.

jmo of course.

I wouldnt call that a bad thing, when you consider it probably adds more power while getting rid of the amateur devs who release crappy apps.

Comment

fast tracking 3.8 this could mean only one thing....android wants f2fs!

Comment

sound pretty unlikely they would ship it in Android 5.0, with only 3 months to go before Google I/O, no?

I think it may be for Android 6.0, and probably because 3.7 and later 3.8 contained 64 bit ARMv8 support, and also the F2FS file systems like others have said.

Comment

mistakes

there are lots of mistakes in this article.
                Jelly bean uses the following kernels
                3.0 kernel for Galaxy Nexus
                3.1 kernel for Nexus 7
                3.4 Kernel for Nexus 4 and Nexus 10.

Comment

Originally posted by chris200x9 View Post
                  fast tracking 3.8 this could mean only one thing....android wants f2fs!
                  Yeah I'm kind of thinking the unified arm work, and f2fs
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post

jmo of course.

C++, particularly when combined with Qt is far more intuitive than the utter braindamage that is Java

Comment

Working...
                    X