Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 3.9 Kernel To Support Google's Goldfish

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Linux 3.9 Kernel To Support Google's Goldfish

    Phoronix: Linux 3.9 Kernel To Support Google's Goldfish

    Ingo Molnar has already submitted his x86 platform pull request for the Linux 3.9 kernel that's now officially under development since last night. With the Linux 3.9 kernel will come support for Google's Android "Goldfish" emulator...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMwNjM

  • #2
    "Enable support for the Goldfish virtual platform used primarily for Android development."
    I'm confused what this means? Is this something that will make Android app developers lives better on Linux?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by leif81 View Post
      I'm confused what this means? Is this something that will make Android app developers lives better on Linux?
      No, basically it just makes it easier for Google to maintain android.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
        No, basically it just makes it easier for Google to maintain android.
        If what you says is true, why the code would be included since there would be no benefit for the linux kernel?

        Comment


        • #5
          I don't know, I feel let down. Anybody else feel let down?

          Comment


          • #6
            Androd is a benifit to Linux. It also gives you the oputunity to easily build and test you linux in the android emulator if you so wish.

            Comment


            • #7
              Goldfish?

              What exactly is this Goldfish?
              Why does we need this Goldfish emulator thing?
              We already have KVM and Xen.

              So why do we need this Goldfish when we already have emulators?



              Also, what is this SGI Ultraviolet System 3 (UV3) platform?
              I've never heard of it before.
              SGI got bought up by Rackable Systems, they still make stuff?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by sonnet View Post
                If what you says is true, why the code would be included since there would be no benefit for the linux kernel?
                If it allows Google to more closely track the upstream Linux kernel, that might be a reason in itself.

                Comment


                • #9
                  As I understand it, this pull of goldfish just lets you run the android environment without having to use an unaccelerated qemu. It simulates an atom processor and provides hooks for input/output. So, you should be able to run the emulator with appropriate avds using kvm acceleration, but you need vt extensions.
                  http://blog.testobject.com/2012/04/g...tor-boost.html

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    What exactly is this Goldfish?
                    Why does we need this Goldfish emulator thing?
                    We already have KVM and Xen.

                    So why do we need this Goldfish when we already have emulators?



                    Also, what is this SGI Ultraviolet System 3 (UV3) platform?
                    I've never heard of it before.
                    SGI got bought up by Rackable Systems, they still make stuff?
                    Google is your find...

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X