Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu For Tablets Announcement A Let Down

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Not a let down, just and odd coincidence with HP. And I enjoy seeing their design for the Tablets, thanks. Plus, I think the designs look good, and everyone saying "it's all just smoke" and "he shows MS Office and not LibreOffice" doesn't know a thing about marketing. He doesn't have time to walk through all the great free software, so he chooses to show off multiple technologies at once using a very commonly used commercial software (you know, something that will gain a lot of _commercial_ interest). How do you think this project is ever going to get anywhere? He has to gain interest by showing that "your favorite apps" will run out-of-the-box.

    Comment


    • #17
      at 2:00 he says the "side-stage" was unique to ubuntu. isn't that the exact same feature that windows 8 has already?

      -

      Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
      Well, you only have to wait until Thursday...
      Like when we could download the ubuntu phone image two days after they showed it off?
      Last edited by dstaubsauger; 02-19-2013, 02:54 PM.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by dstaubsauger View Post
        at 2:00 he says the "side-stage" was unique to ubuntu. isn't that the exact same feature that windows 8 has already?
        Its definitely very simliar. Looks like the Ubuntu version will let you either multitask with the second app as an overlay or split screen. Certainly isn't particularly "unique," but it does look like a very good concept. Android should have had something like this ages ago on tablets.

        Comment


        • #19
          I have a great idea for android or ubuntu phone.... And I feel like it is something entirely new...... The should invent a "taskbar" and add "buttons" for "minimize" and "close" for all applications. The cool thing about this idea is that apps can be "minimized" when a different app is in use.....

          This alone would make multitasking a whole lot easier.... I wonder why nobody ever thought of it before?

          Comment


          • #20
            Ubuntu Tablet?

            Awesome...but wheres the Tablet. I see Ubuntu but no tablet....could I at least have a image for the Nexus 7?....

            Comment


            • #21
              I used to be a big fan of Mark Shuttleworth. However... How come I just keep wishing he will run out of money - these days...?? Sad times, sad times...
              Strange business strategy to enter a completely saturated market... Reminds me a bit of WebOS - but without the developer team...

              Comment


              • #22
                Since when is the enterprise market for mobile devices saturated?

                Everyone who watched the Ubuntu Phone and Tablet announcements clearly saw that this is not primarly targeted at dumb kids who want to play angry birds.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by dstaubsauger View Post
                  at 2:00 he says the "side-stage" was unique to ubuntu. isn't that the exact same feature that windows 8 has already?

                  -


                  Like when we could download the ubuntu phone image two days after they showed it off?
                  No one said this when they announced Ubuntu Phone OS. Stop making stuff up n00b.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                    I have a great idea for android or ubuntu phone.... And I feel like it is something entirely new...... The should invent a "taskbar" and add "buttons" for "minimize" and "close" for all applications. The cool thing about this idea is that apps can be "minimized" when a different app is in use.....

                    This alone would make multitasking a whole lot easier.... I wonder why nobody ever thought of it before?
                    Can't tell if serious....

                    Android's multitasking is already better than a taskbar with minimize/close buttons.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      An "entry level consumer Ubuntu tablet" needs at least a dual-core ARM Cortex-A15, 2GB of memory preferred, at least 8GB of flash storage, and a 7~10 inch screen.
                      While the Nexus 10 fits this requirement, what's up with the Nexus 7? Nexus 7 has "only" 1 GB of RAM, and the ARM A9 Tegra 3 chip, yet they are appearing to support it.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        nofi, but those requirements are pretty damn steep.

                        I would have hoped that the minimum requirements would be what those cheap 100 Euro tablets spur. 512MB - 1024MB, single core.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by devguy View Post
                          While the Nexus 10 fits this requirement, what's up with the Nexus 7? Nexus 7 has "only" 1 GB of RAM, and the ARM A9 Tegra 3 chip, yet they are appearing to support it.
                          I would guess that the requirements are stretched a bit just to make sure that it still has plenty of room even when on minimum specs.
                          For the Phone OS they suggested 32 GB internal storage if you want Desktop Convergence. A Ubuntu desktop installation could fit on a 16 GB eMMC with additional programs installed.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X